In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I made a stupid. A big stupid.

BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
Well, I did it now. I decided to play gunsmith on a rifle I had no parts experience with and now I've stepped in it big time.I totally disassemled my H&R Model 150 Leatherneck .22LR so I could do a real thorough cleaning.While I was doing great up until I took the second spring (the smaller, longer spring of the two) out of the frame it was in and it sprung out and scattered the pieces all over the place. I got the frame, the spring, and the rod that the spring rested on, but I've got no idea what else I lost. Whatever it is, I cant find it.I'm trying to avoid bringing it in to an actual gunsmith, so I'd like to figure this out myself and leave my pride intact.So: If anyone can point me in the direction of, or send me via email, part schematics for the rifle, I'd be eternally grateful.If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, comments or heckles, I'll take em now, cause I feel like I did when I was at the beach last year and lost my Rolex my wife gave me for our anniversary in the sand.A kindly gent with a metal detector got me out of that jam. Lets hope someone here's got a bright idea.

Comments

• OrphanedcowboyOrphanedcowboy Member Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go http://www.e-gunparts.com/ I am not guaranteeing they will have a schematic online but I looked in my catalog and there is one, albeit I don't know if it will help you any, I hope it is a start. One conselation about these forums, there are one or two people who will poke fun at you, but there are a heck of alot more who will help you. It's like being broke down, one of these guys will come along and rescue you. http://www.e-gunparts.com/schematics.asp you can order it online, just checked
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.com [This message has been edited by Orphanedcowboy (edited 11-30-2001).]
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullzeye- Sorry to say I cant help you, but your predictament reminds me of when I stepped in it big time.I am a clarinetist, and when I was a young man I decided to take my clarinet apart, give it a thorough cleaning, and then put it back together. Came apart real easy, but I couldnt put the thing back together. Swallowing my pride, I went to my "clarinet smith" and he really gave it to me.Now, when it comes to my possesions where precision is absolutely essential(clarinets and guns) I take it to the experts(except for the little things, of course).
  • toastmonkeytoastmonkey Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The gunparts catalog has schematics like was previously mentioned. I read a good suggestion for disassembly the other day. Use a white 5 gal bucket, tape paper towels hanging down from the rim and one in the bottom to prevent ricocheting springs. I for one hate doing the "gunsmith crawl". Magnets help too. Those round stereo magnets make a decent parts tray that doesn't tip over easy.Best of luck, we have all been in your shoes before.
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After the fact--but when I take apart a firearm (or other stuff) I've made sketches/notes so I remember how it goes back together.I also have found that a big clear plastic garbage bag can be helpful with anything "spring loaded"; working with your hands inside the bag (please don't put your head in! ) will contain any small parts if it "pops".
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    First of all, thanks for all your help, guys. I really appreciate it. But it turns out this story gets even more idiotic.After crawling around on my kitchen floor with a flashlight for the better part of an hour, looking under every appliance about eight times, I finally wised up and called a gun-club friend of mine who happened to own several H&R guns.The conversation went something like this:Bill: Who's this? (I woke him up, it seemed)Me: Bill! Its John! I need some help here, the spring on my Leatherneck went off when I was disassembling it and I think I lost an important part! It was the little spring that attaches to the cocking handle on the bottom, not the recoil spring. I got the frame, the pin, and the spring, but the rest of it's gone!Bill: (sleepily) You got the spring, the spring pin, and the frame you say?Me: Yeah, but I know I lost something! I'm screwed!Bill: (sleepily) You've got a Leatherneck, you said?Me: Yeah! And I messed it up, man! Whaddo I do?Bill: ........Me: What?Bill: Christ Almighty. You woke me the hell up for that!?Me: No! That's why I called you!Bill: (deep sigh) Take a good hard look at the thing, THINK for a second, and let me go back to sleep.I figured he was just being cranky, but lo and behold, 5 seconds later I figure out there was no other damn part. The thing was right in front of me the whole time.......I'm taking the day off tomorrow and going to the beach. I am in desperate need of a vacation.
  • 218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    I used to take every used gun I bought apart,ended up in my gagage all hours of the night,all the time.Then I learned how well soaking an action in a five gallon can of mineral spirits can do...then displace it with laquer thinner,and oil it..218
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey dont worry, we've all been there, I was cleaning up my floor space where I do all my work the other day, and when I got everything into the dust pan I noticed a neat little spring. It was a spring that goes in my buddies gun that I had worked on. The bad part is, when I gave it back to him it worked 100% better than when I got it from him, and I honestly dont remember that spring being one that I ordered more than one of, for replacing. I swear that there was a spring in his gun where that one belongs, and it did function fine when I gave it back, and I've told him to check it for function. hhhmmmmm.....?????
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought an Enfield a few years back and a buddy who is much more knowledgable than I offered to detail strip and clean it for me. When I went to pick it up, I was very pleased with the job he had done - the thing positively sparkled. Then, as an afterthought, he says, "Oh yeah, there were a bunch of screws and springs left over. Thought you might want them." With that, he hands me a jar full of small metal parts. You should have heard him laugh as he watched my jaw drop and my face fall. Can you say "Gotcha!"? He sure did!
  • thebutcherthebutcher Member Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo: the right-wing, gun-toting, clarinetist. Someone should make a movie out of you.
    The definition of an "expert":An "X" is an unknown quantity and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure.