In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

25-06?

G&G FirearmsG&G Firearms Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
Thought i might buy me a 25-06.Is there a down side to this cal?It would be used for small to meduim game.Thanks

Comments

• varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only downside I know is I only have one.This is my favorite whitetail rifle.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • GWNelsonGWNelson Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cartridge is over bore. 257 Roberts Imp. will do the same with less powder. Use Hornady 75 grain HP bullet and you won't need to track your animal down. Will be where yu shot it.
  • laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Varmit Hunter and I are on the same page--I have three of them and WILL buy more. You will be hard pressed to find a more ideal cartridge for groundhogs through whitetails(including antelope) in terms of bullet selection, accuracy, and killing power. The second poster MAY be correct in his endorsement of the .257, but he is talking about a wildcat, as opposed to readily-available factory ammo. I'd be willing to bet that I can safely load a 25-06 hotter that his wildcat, if speed is what you want!
  • gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Rem Sendero in 25-06 and cant say enough good things about it! I plan to buy several rifles in this, my new found favorite caliber.
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used a Browning Stalker in 25.06 on Prairie Dogs, Antelope, and Muletail Deer.....great caliber! A joy to shoot.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    It's great. I don't know of any down side as long as it's used on the proper game. I think you'll be very happy if you decide to go that way.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • OrphanedcowboyOrphanedcowboy Member Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple of Model 70's in 25'06, and I love them, consider how much game is harvested with a .243 and it's a shoe in, it will work great for you, I know mine do.
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.com
  • Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a ruger m77/varmit it is a great joy to shoot and is very acurate.
    "The Constitution of most of our states(and the United States)asserts that all power is inherent in the people;that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."--Thomas Jefferson--
  • ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife has a Winchester model 70 featherweight in 25-06. I take it deer hunting all the time. She and I both have killed a few deer with it using 120 grain rem factory loads and 1 shot= 1 kill. Great deer caliber. I'm experimenting with hand loads for it.
  • compgunfirecompgunfire Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love the .25-06 for groundhogs, but I feel that one must be a handloader to gain the calibers full range of ability (I cite the lack of factory ammo choices available).
  • GWNelsonGWNelson Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lAXCOACH, QUESTION WAS, "is there a downside?" Yes! it is overbore, therefore not an economical shooter. I don't know how fast it will shoot. There is space in the case for more powder, but i'm intent on hitting what i aim at.