In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

who makes the best ak47??

rangerange Member Posts: 554 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in Ask the Experts
would like to know who makes the best ak 47? and is a milled receiver better then a stamped one . many thanks ps what should magazines cost and which are the best?

Comments

• jeenyesjeenyes Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer the ChiCom AK, with milled receiver. The milled will hold heat longer than the stamped, which is bad, but I have saw some stamped receivers that were loose in the rivets. But it took a LOT of shooting to get that way. Guess it's just a matter of preference.AS far as mags, I also prefer ChiCom, but have never saw a bad one in any make.If you buy a lot of them, you can get them for about $8 plus shipping.I ordered about 50 of them right before the ban for $2 and 10 drums for $19 each. Guess those days are gone.
  • ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I won't touch the first part of your question; but I am pleased with my Romanian SAR-1 AK-47. I have never had one of the earlier, now-expensive pre-ban models.As to magazines, all of them consistently work better than any other mag/gun combination in MY experience. I just bought 20 Hungarian mags Monday for $6.95 each. The Bulgarian and East German mags have a good reputation. I like the ones with the rib down the spine, since it adds rigidity. As to which is the very best, I will leave that to someone else.
  • boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    The Russian VEPR is the best current manufacture AK you can buy, but that's just my own opinion.Glad to hear JudgeColt's opinion on the Poly-Tech below, I'd have to say he's right as far as the pre-ban's go, just 'cause I have one [This message has been edited by boeboe (edited 12-01-2001).]
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    boeboe beat me to it!
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my opinion, the Poly Tech pre-ban are the best. The Legand has the milled receiver and most consider it the best of the Poly Techs. All Poly Techs have spring-loaded firing pins, which adds a lot of safey margin in preventing slam fires with commercial ammunition. I am told German magazines are the best, and the ones I have seem to be of higher quality than the Chinese, although the magazines that came with my Poly Tech Legand seem as well finished as the East German magazines to me. The Norinco magazines I have are much cruder made, but work fine. (I deburred the feed lips.)
  • ED PED P Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always wanted to get a Finnish made Valmet AK, as I've heard they were the best in terms of build detail quality, but I don't know if any made it into the US before bans. Heard good stuff about their ammo as well on this board.
  • elmos608elmos608 Member Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Krebs Custom Ak-103, but pretty pricey. http://www.krebscustom.com