In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ruger p90/p97 vs. Sig 220 (45ACP): is the price difference justified?

cpilericpileri Member Posts: 447 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in Ask the Experts
Please explain!!!Carl

Comments

• badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger KP 97 and am completely satisfied with it. If you load your own you'll have to work up a load that works best in it. I use 5.0 gr Titegroup w/Rainier 200 gr. round nose for 1" groups at15 yards.
  • KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    depends on what you use it for......it its just gonna be a toy and home defense then i would say it is just as good as the sig.....but if your into law enforcement or competitive shooting of some kind then i would go with the sig......but remember that a pistol is only as good as the person who pulls the trigger. I plan to buy myself a p89 for christmas (since no one else will). I can hit pop cans at 35-45 yards with very few misses with my buddies, and he doesnt even take care of his.
  • prebanfanprebanfan Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Price difference is not justified. Ruger wins hands down when price comes into the mix.
  • kaboomkaboom Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't knoiw if this will help you decide, but I'll throw it out there anyway.The OH state police did a reliability test for DAO pistols on 17 different models a couple of years ago. They fired something like 12,000 rounds through each pistol and kept track of all the malfunctions for each one. The SIG 226 won the contract with only 4 malfunctions. The order of finish was:SIG 226Sig 229HKUSP40FGlock 22HKUSP45FS&W Sigma 40FS&W 4053TSWBeretta 8040DS&W 4056TSWGlock 21S&W 4046HKUSP45CSIG 220S&W 4043Glock 30S&W 4586Ruger P94DAO The last 6 on the list didn't finish the test because they were dropped after 45 malfunctions. BTW, I don't know how this will format, I'm not very good at this kind of thing.
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kaboom:Great information. I find it interesting that the highly touted Glocks did not finish first, and that the much maligned S&W Sigma was a top 5 finisher. (I love the Sigma grip shape and mine has been totally reliable.) Are the results of this test published so anyone can review them?I am also curious about some of the omissions. The Glock 17 is probably the most reliable of the Glocks, and the Beretta M92 has a very impressive record of service. I wonder why these pistols were left out?As I recall the service pistol tests, it was said that the SIG P226 won, but that the Beretta M92 was cheaper, so it got the contract. I am not sure that story is accurate, but I have heard it several times.
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    JC - If I read this correctly, this was an Ohio State Police test trial not the US Military test trials. I agree that the url for this info would be good to get for review.BTW, the Sigma 40F was the best of the Sigma line; however, they do not offer it any more. Go figure! I agree, I like the grip on the Sigma myself.Boomer
    Protect our Constitutional Rights.
  • kaboomkaboom Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Judge - I don't know why the Glock 17 and Beretta 92 were not tested, it would seem that those two would have been some of the first ones they thought of when selecting their field of test guns. The test results were published in the Shotgun News issue of 6/18/01. I don't subscribe to S.N, just happened to pick up that copy at a gun store. I can give you the data on the malfunctions if you're interested.I just noticed that the pistols were not ranked by number of malfunctions. They also gave some weight in the rankings to the subjective likes and dislikes of the testers, things like the feel of the grip and ease of operation. Anyway, here are the number of malfunctions for what it's worth.P-226- 4P-229- 5USP 40F- 14Glock 22- 13USP45F- 26Sigma- 294053TSW- 23Beretta- 114056TSW- 26Glock 21- 454046- 32 The rest of the list doesn't give the number of malfunctions because they all went over the arbitrary 45 limit and didn't finish the test.
  • b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thats odd. I have a glock 22, I've put 3000 rnds thru with no failures, I also have a p-90 I've put 1000 rnds thur with no failures. Guess the State Troopers there were "limp wristed"
  • Walt NunleyWalt Nunley Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IM WITH DANO IF ITS GONNA BE AROUND AWHILE AN EXTRA HUNDRED WONT BE AN ISSUE.I LIKE THE SIG GRIP BETTER IT ALSO HAS A SAFER FEELING DECOCKER.MAKES ME NERVOUS TO HEAR THAT SHARP METALLIC CLICK ON A LOADED CHAMBER.I AM MORE ACCURATE WITH MY SIG.I GOT A BUDDY THAT HAS A P89 AND I LIKE TO SHOOT IT ALSO BUT ME PERSONALLY GO WITH THE SIG YOU WONT REGRET IT
    Submarine Sailor,Truck Driver,and very bad typist.GO RUSTY #2
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bOOmer's response will be a common one with most people. Most of us shoot our firearm maybe a few or maybe a hundred or two hundred times and take it home and clean it. It works everytime and we say it it totally reliable. It is under those ideal conditions. However, most tests like the test reported have longer intervals between cleanings, or "shoot to failure" before cleaning. That results in failures that would not be seen in the typical shooter's experience. The comment on "limp wristing" was probably intended to be funny, but it is a real world issue for any pistol adopted for a law enforcement unit where it will be fired by officers of different skills and weaknesses. Glocks are reputed to be especially susceptable to "limp wristing," but I have tried to make my M17 fail by "limp wristing" and have not been able to do so. Still, it is a known problem even if I cannot duplicate it. Skeeter Skelton did many 10,000 round tests when he was writing for "Shooting Times," and it was amazing to me how reliable most firearms were in his tests. The often-maligned Smith & Wesson M59 was very successful in its 10,000 round test, more so than some pistols of greater reputation. Most quality pistols kept clean will be reliable for personal defense. Choose the one that fits you best. I again say that I think safety is very important for a house gun. The Smiths with their manual safeties and magazine safety are ideal in my opinion. A Glock or SIG lying around can be fired by anyone who picks it up just by pulling the trigger. Everyone knows you fire firearms by pulling the trigger, including children. Many non-gun people do not know how to operate a safety. Get a safety on a house gun.