In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Is this gun only a prop ? Who makes it ?

HighlanderHighlander Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited December 2001 in Ask the Experts
Hello; I've been curious about a gun that I have seen in a number of films and TV shows. It's a combination rifle/pistol. It has a rifle barrel and a stock but is has a six shot revolver cylinder and a pistol grip. So it is a rifle that shoots like a pistol. It often has a scope mounted on it. Usually the character using it has to screw in the barrel. This weapon is often associated with an assassin character. Is this a prop weapon manufactured for Hollywood or is it a real gun ? If real who manufactures it and what's its specs ? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• hyperspacehyperspace Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What films/tv shows have you seen it in?
  • HighlanderHighlander Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your interest. The most recent show was an episode of "Dark Angel." It was the Holloween episode I believe. The bad guy - assassin type again - breaks into the mail/parcel depot where the main character "Max" works and retrieves the weapon. He later puts it together by screwing in the barrel and mounting a scope. It was also featured a few years ago in an episode of "Highlander: the Series" (if you know the series and wish more details let me know)as well as a movie with Mark Decascos (not sure of spelling) - the actor that was the title character in "The Crow" tv series. That's all I can recall right at this moment. If I can think of the other movies I'll post the titles. Thanks. [This message has been edited by Highlander (edited 12-01-2001).]
  • kaboomkaboom Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never seen that gun in a film or on TV, but I am sometimes amused to see some bad guy screwing a silencer on a revolver.
  • ED PED P Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This ones almost long enough to be a rifle, always got a kick out of the picture, but it has no stock... http://www.smith-wesson.com/sport/images/performance/pc629a_large.jpg
  • KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    is it a western style weapon?....ive see several westers with a rifle that had a 6-8 round cylinder instead of a common marlin/winchestor style tub magazine.....otherwise i have no clue.
  • nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a modified Street Sweeper, a 12 gauge shotgun that was originally designed in South Africa in the '70s. The cylinder is wound up, and the spring turns it. BATF has determined that they are Class III weapons, and must be registered to be legal.And, before you ask, the portable battery-powered electric Vulcan 20mm cannon carried by the soldier in Predator doesn't really exist.Neal
  • elmos608elmos608 Member Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hat these posts about "I want the Dirty Harry Gun!" It's sounds so juvenile and creates a bad image for the gun owners. [This message has been edited by elmos608 (edited 12-02-2001).]
  • biggunrbiggunr Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lighten up elmo, a little curiosity never hurt anyone (and neither does checking your spelling, it's hate, not hat). In regards to the question, there have been western style revolvers with stock attachments in several movies that are real, and there is also an attachment made for a .45 auto with a drop-in barrel. Federal regulations state that a weapon with a stock must have at least a 16" barrel.[This message has been edited by biggunr (edited 12-02-2001).]
  • HighlanderHighlander Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all those who answered especially biggunr who reminded elmo that curiosity is not juvenile but normal. I'm quite the mature and serious gun owner. I just happened to see this same weapon featured over the years in different movies and TV shows. It is odd for different production companies to use the same prop; that's why I thought it might be a commercial weapon. It looks to be a hybrid rifle/pistol - rifle barrel and stock, revolver action - 6 shot cylinder - .45 cal. I hope elmo won't "hat" this explanation too. Thanks. [This message has been edited by Highlander (edited 12-02-2001).]
  • pops401pops401 Member Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uberti, Buntline Carbine. It has a fixed shoulder stock, 6 shot cyl. and 18" barell. In 44-40, 45lc, 44mag, 357mag.
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The people who write these show business scripts know nothing about shooting or firearms. I remember on the tv show Barnaby Jones one time an assassin snapped together his rifle and then shot a tire out on a car traveling at high speed on a freeway about half a mile away. He then put another round into the gas tank to blow up the car. Later in the show he used the same rifle and took a shot at a standing still Barnaby Jones at a hundred yards and missed. Barnaby pulled out his trusty 2" chiefs special and knocked down the assassin with a clean shot to the shoulder. I laughed till my sides hurt.