In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Shooting Master 38 Special? (Photos)

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
edited September 2007 in Ask the Experts
A person showed me a Colt Shooting Master 38 revolver with a 6" barrel, adjustable sights, serial 340224, I can not find any info on this revolver, anyone have any ideas on value, year made?

Thanks!
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=79587966

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My reference shows DOM, 1936. Uncommon, adjustable sight version of New Service. If factory original, very good condition or better? Would be worth big bucks to a collector. Quality photos required for positive identification and appraisal.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will take some photos tonight and post them.
    Thanks
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is what a original Shooting Master looks like.

Colt-shooting-master-right.jpg

Your has been worked over, ( grips, hammer etc.)

It will likely have an affect on value, i.e. most hard core collectors, want big buck stuff to be factory original. Might have better luck taking the reserve off, some guy who would want it as a shooter will spring for it. My 2?.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rufe, the owner of the revolver inherited it from his father and he asked me to try and determine value. I had never even heard of a Shooting Master revolver before today.
    I am going to leave the auction run to try and see what it will bring as the owner is interested in selling it. I will advise him that due to the fact that its not all original, the collector value is not what it once was.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that the alterations to the illustrated revolver will reduce its value to a Colt colletctor.

The sights and maybe the grips are Ropers, which adds a lot of interest to fans of period target guns. Walter Roper was a highly regarded shooter and influential designer and writer in his day. I do not know if that interest will translate into a high selling price.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A front Sight with Elevation adjustment! That's NEAT. Is the trigger stop a period modification? A whole lot of work went into that BABY!
    Just one of the many reasons I come to this Forum.

I can picture that Colt in the hands of someone like Harry Reeves!