In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What silencer is best?

5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
edited September 2007 in Ask the Experts
What is the quietest silencer for a 22 LR in a rifle? I have heard a intregal version is quietest. How much difference is there between a intregal silencer and a screw on. How good can a screw on silencer be, it is only 1 inch in diameter and 5 to 6 inches long.

Comments

• cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to
    www.Silencertests.com
    www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=20

I have suppressed 22 pistols and rifles.
    If you can find an LRM Vidar get it. Lee quit making them. That is my neatest 22 rifle.
    In this day and age they are all very good though.

Check out a .338 Whisper on an XP100 pistol with a GemTech Mk-9k suppressor for a S**ts and giggles quiet deer killing machine. I love it and shoot in the backyard. 250 gr bullet at 1020 fps and as close to Hollywood Quiet as anything I have fired.

Basically find a local dealer and try some.

CP

Edit at 0040 AM or thereabouts.
    Sorry these other guys below used up most of your 10 posts gabbing about their personal problems. They must think they are in the Gen Discussion forum and be trying to rack up post counts.

The LRM Vidar is integral. It is a counterbored 10/22 Target with the baffles placed in the counterbore and then sealed off so it looks COMPLETELY stock.
    My other 10/22 is a Norrell integral with a Norrell selectfire triggerpack. It is a hoot.
    Both are quiet, moreso if you take a refrigerator magnet and a piece of steel the same shape and size as the ejection port and place them there. This keeps the bolt from cycling and clanking.

The noise from all my suppressed 22s is about like a high power 177 pellet gun or the sound when you loosen a QD air line disconnect. The integrals may be a hair quiter but I can't actually hear a difference.

CP
  • Sith LordSith Lord Member Posts: 480
    edited November -1
    MUST BE NICE...I can't own silencers here in RI.[:(][:(]
  • 74cuda74cuda Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Time to move Sith...
    edited November -1
    I'm Ready[:D]....Wife isn't[:(]quote:Originally posted by 74cuda
    Time to move Sith...
  • 74cuda74cuda Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To keep peace in the house, you gotta be willing to give up a few good things in life....

Or keep going on vacations until she finds a place that she likes and works for you too...
    edited November -1
    YUP....You go it. One day she will realize there is more to this world than[:)] Rhode Island...hopefully it's sooner than later...
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Don't dismiss 1" dia x 6"! I have a GemTech on a Walther and it's really surprizing - even dry. Given that, I don't know why anyone would want one. Talk about total expense. At my age being practical isn't priority #1!

I haven't tried out an integal surpressed rifle and hope someone will comment on that.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several .22 suppressors. I have a SRT integral 77/22 and 77/17. Both are very quite. With the 77/22 all you really hear is the firing pin hitting the primer. Of course with the 77/17 you get the ballistic crack. I also have one of Tactical solutions integral barrels for the 10/22 but I'm waiting for them to come out with the new X-Ring receiver before I put that barrel on a gun. The can suppressors are still quite and they make shooting without hearing protection possible, but they will never be as quite as an integral. I would recommend getting a can because of the ability to move it to several different firearms. An integral is stuck on that gun.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Thanks mooseyard and cpermd. Great information.