In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AR15 BAN OR PRE BAN???

CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
edited October 2007 in Ask the Experts
ANOTHER ????. I HAVE PICKED UP A ESSENTIAL ARMS J15 (BLACK GUN) TALKED TO ESSENTIAL ARMS AND WAS TOLD MY LOWER HALF WAS AROUND 1989 .THAT WOULD BE PRE BAN SEEMS THIS CO MADE SOME GUNS BACK THEN BUT ALSO SOLD PARTS TO MAKE GUNS, ???? IS HOW CAN YOU TELL IF THE UPPER HALF (BARREL) IS ALSO A PRE BAN, [?]

Comments

• leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Um.... Just making sure, you know that there isn't any federal ban on assault weapons anymore?

But there probably isn't a way to estimate the mfg date of an upper or parts unless they were marked by the mfg in a certain manner that distinguest them from post or nonban configs. Companies were making uppers with barrels with flashhiders as parts all duing the ban.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    These terms are now only marketing gimmicks for the unaware.

It's funny how there are still folks out there paying more money for these rifles because they have features that used to be banned.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    The ban that most people refer to is the 94' AWB that lasted for 10 year. That ended on a federal level in 2004. There are a few states that still have laws that are similar to the 94' AWB and you need to know those laws to find out what is legal in those states.

Even during the AWB there were ban features. If you had a firearm (the serial numbered part) in the case of the AR it is the lower made before the ban you could put all the features on your gun. If your lower was made after the ban you could not put the listed features like flash hiders, bayonet lugs, ect.

There really isn't such a thing as ban/pre ban/post ban/no ban/ect uppers, it was just based on features.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    If your upper has the bayonet lug and a screw on flash hider it is a pre-ban. Or some pre-bans have just the flash hider. The first thing to come off was the EVIL bayonet lug.
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    thanks for all the info , i did know that the ban was no longer, its just seems like alot of talk ban post ban pre ban next ban and so on. what got me asking ??? was the person at essential arms said there were people calling them looking for a pre ban guns and wanted to know if it was for sell. said some were paying top $$$$ for a pre ban. i think i got the gun right $750 local about what there starting for here and it looks like it was not fired alot. it has the bayonet lug and a screw on flash hider.[8D]
  • vicg1vicg1 Member Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    These terms are now only marketing gimmicks for the unaware.

It's funny how there are still folks out there paying more money for these rifles because they have features that used to be banned.

It's not funny. And it's not for the unaware. Many people live in areas where the ban still exists and they can only buy a preban if they want the evil features.