In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Alloy Grip Safeties on 1911s

511pe511pe Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
edited October 2007 in Ask the Experts
Is there such a thing as an alloy grip safety for a 1911?

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello What do you term Alloy ? they are all an alloy of some kind Stainless & Carbon steel and other metals. Do they make one out of Aluminum? Never seen one but with all the designs of grip safeties I would not be surprise if they made them out of Carbon Fiber Aluminum ETC.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Caspian lists titanium beavertails. I think they used to have aluminum back when they made aluminum frames but have gone high tech - high dollar with titanium for both.
  • 511pe511pe Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think more of a Chip McCormick "extreme" control grip safety design however it doesn't come in titainum or more perferrable aluminum. I'm looking for grip safeties made lighter than carbon or stainless steel. Caspian's speed bump doesn't seem to make better than the standard memory pad (try gripping a SIG 1911 attempt, they've got a speed bump on the grip safety).
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello 511.PE I don't know what the intended purpose of the 1911 You want to build but be aware the grip safety has no bearing on the speed of the function of a 1911 . Grip safeties are a personal item and largely dependent on hand shape and size and how much MEAT is on your hand . I for one have very skinny hands and a bevertail safety lacks a good 1/2 inch from touching the web of my hand likewise a memory Pad will BRUISE the tendons in my hand . Remenber light weight = more felt recoil. and longer recovery time. Your mileage may vary "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
    edited November -1
    I'm a glutton for punishment. I like my guns light as possible. I smash my hands at work so frequently the pain goes unnoticed. 1911s tend to have a larger grip surface to disburse recoil. I feel very confident with light weight guns. And you're right about the sore tendons from a memory pad just think what a vertical speed bump down the length of the grip safety will do. In some cases like the old Kimber's grip safety depending on hand size your palm may not adequately meet up with the main spring housing. So perry shooter you are right 100%. It seems 1911s will be made lighter by slide & frame and still have heavy bull barrel, full length guide rod, mainspring housing, and grip safety so why bother with slide & frame why not go all the way. So to answer your question I'm looking for light wieght parts to make a light weight government full size 1911 and want to make sure all heavy areas are reduced.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Go to www.novaksights.com, they make a 1911 back strap that eliminates the grip safety. It is a one piece main spring housing and back strap, Called "The Answer".
    edited November -1
    But is it light weight alloy? What's it made of? How does it work as a safety? Not too much info given on the web site given you have to add http://
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...If you want Light weigh, get a polymer MSH...they do actually hold up but then the only stress on them is the MS against the inside top and the MS cap...which you can get steel caps...I have all SS MS caps in my guns.

..Unless you go all out on lightening a 1911, frame, slide...with lightening cuts..."one" part such as a grip safety is not goin to make squat in the weight difference...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    Exactly. Put a steel grip safety on a scale next to one made of aluminum, and what do you save? A gram or two?

Assemble two identical guns, the only difference being the material from which the grip safety is made, and you won't be able to tell the difference, in the hand or on the scale.

Much ado about nothing, IMNSHO.

I go for aluminum or other light weight alloys, too, in the frame, but I wouldn't worry about the grip safety.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Layne Simpson weighed all the gun parts he could find.
    An aluminum grip safety, if you can find one, will save about half an ounce vs steel.
    An aluminum mainspring housing, if you can find one, will save an ounce versus steel; the synthetic is about an ounce and a half lighter than steel.

Of course you will use a short hollow GI recoil spring guide and save an ounce or more.
    edited November -1
    Got an email from Novak, the "the answer" does come in aluminum. This part seems to be a more elaborate main spring housing that eliminates the grip safety. It's got to reduce th weight of both parts. The thing that concerns me is if the trigger gets jared and slams back into the sear the gun might go off in a holster, ever wonder why they try to make lighter trigger shoes? Also lets not forget some alloys are more resilient to corrosion. It may not reduce most of the weight but in sum of all lightweight parts it'll be lighter. I don't know why a half effort is better than a hole. Cost isn't the issue my last 1911 ran me $3,400. If I may recall Smith & Wession's 1911 scandium received much criticism for being heavy when it first came out. I don't believe their effort was the same as their scandium snubbies otherwise they'd have the lightest possible 1911.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    That's why you carry a 1911 cocked and locked. Use a titanium fring pin and a heavy duty spring.