In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 carbine - where to get a....

altosaltos Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in Ask the Experts
a... high quality M1 cabine "shooter". It certainly does not need to be an historicalartifact. However, it must be dead-nuts reliable, mint/minty bore, very accurate, and mechanically excellent. Any insights greatly appreciated.Thank you for you time !Regards,

Comments

• Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very accurate & M-1 carbine do not belong in the same sentence.
  • Options
    nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Considering that no USGI M1 carbine is < 55 years old, there is some possibility that you will get one that is not quite perfect.However, if you don't mind paying top dollar for top quality, try www.scott-duff.com or www.fulton-armory.com. Personally, I'd check the For Sale ads and M1 carbine forums at www.gunandknife.com and www.jouster.com., and see what I could find.Neal
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Universal M1 carbine, not a military rifle, with bayonet lug, sling, oiler, scope mount (factory issued) and 15-round magazine. All in excellent condition. E-mail me at ronsuesnow@yahoo.com if you have any interest.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Perhaps a clarification... as accurate as rationally feasible considering it's an M1.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ronald, thanks, but I am focused on a USGI issued piece. Thanks !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok... still soliticing opinions...Potential options other than just buying one off of Gunbroker or ???: IAI - rebuilt with cast receiver section Tanks... Survival Enterprises... Riverbank...These folks all have versions. Survival appears to use all USGI parts as does Riverbank. Tanks, don't know. IAI, home grown receiver.Any opinions ?
  • Options
    nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    George Liakos at Riverbank has been selling newly-made Springfield Armory Inc. receivers, but he also has all-USGI carbines, both original & rebuilt. He has a good reputation, and you can't go wrong dealing with him.I'm not familiar with the other newly-made receivers, but the skill of the armorer assembling the carbine and the quality of the warranty are probably more important than anything else.Personally, if I'm going to spend ~ $500 for a carbine, I'd rather have an all-USGI gun that will always be collectible. To me, clones make sense only if they are cheaper, or if you can't get a USGI carbine.Neal
  • Options
    Diesel DummyDiesel Dummy Member Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought the I.A.I. Carbine last spring for just under $400. I've put about a thousand rounds through it without any problems. Fit, function and appearance seem to be flawless. Lot's of fun to shoot.
  • Options
    wiredogwiredog Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't speak for anyone elses M1 carbine but mine shoots very accurately. I can hit dirt clods at 50 yards with iron sights all day long. I have a shooter and a USGI collector piece. It is an underwood, bbl dated 42 or 43 all original. Nice strong cartouches on stock, plus I have numerouus g.i. 15 and 30 round mags. A stock pouch. M4 bayonet, technical manual, no-drill scope mount. It uses existing dovetail for the rear peep. It has a g.i. sling and oiler. I am in Missouri. This rifle is in my personal WWII military collection put I would part with it for the right amount. How much are you willing to spend? See if we are in the same ballpark. My e-mail is below.
    I spent all my money on guns, women, and beer. The rest I just wasted.wiredog70@hotmail.com