In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Astra Constable?

oz652oz652 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited December 2002 in Ask the Experts
Does anybody know the differences between the Constable and the Constable II? What is the quality consensus of these, and the now defunct company. Does anybody know of any reviews, web pages or books that talk about these? I was wondering if the 22lr is a jammatic, or are these good shooters. Also are these collectable?
So many questions but there are so few choices of 22lr pistols in KA!

I luv animals, THEY taste sooooooo good!

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Couldn't find any data in my references about the Constable and the Constable II. They refer to the Astra Constable 5000 circa 1965 and Constable A-60 circa 1986. The principle difference seems to be that the latter version had a hi-cap 13 shot mag. and was only in .380 caliber. Other then that the references are sparse regarding this Astra made pistol. The company went belly up in the late 90's apparently?
  • oz652oz652 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    r-s, Thank you looking it up, it seems like there is not a lot out there regarding this pistol. I have read that Astra went out in 1991. It appears Astra had a long history, with some unusual looking handguns. They make the Constable, which had strong resemblances to the Walther ppk and then go out of business... I hope some else can shed some more light on this pistol. The finish on the Constable I have been eyeing looks to be a blued high polish and with no loose ends in terms of craftsmanship.
  • lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually Star went out of business in July 1998. Some of their designs have been produced in other countries since then. The old A-75 design has been made more recently in South Africa.

The Constable series were based on the Walther PPK design, being a double action straight blow back design. The A-60 was a double stack version.
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've owned at least three of them in the last thirty years ,both .380 & .22 they were all nicely made and functioned well.

[8D][:)][:D]

ATF