In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What brand of scope matches a stainless Mini?

JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
OK, I raised this issue in a Mini discussion, and got only a response about a contrasting scope. I want to know what brand of silver scope BEST matches the color and texture of the factory rings and metal of a stainless Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle.

Most scopes are too yellow, or too silver, or too bright, etc.. Surely someone has addressed this burning question and has the answer!

Any information on this subject will be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put a Tasco 3x9x40 on my stainless Ranch Rifle. Tasco scopes were being liquidated because of their recent bankruptcy....I got it for only $25.00 new in the box! No, it doesn't match the rings...scope is too silver, but it really surprises me how un-fussy about this I became after shooting it.....works great!

Although this temporarily stopped my looking for a "match" for the rings......the quest is still on so if I find one that matches, I will let you know.....and I would appreciate it if you were to find a match you would let me know, also.....Good Luck.....to both of uS!!

Fish Shudder at the sound of my Name!
  • JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your Honor,
    I believe if you investigate a Leupold, It will have the slightly "frosted" appearance of the s/s Mini-14 rings.. I don't have a "ranch", But the Leupold silver sure is a close match to the stainless "non- ranch" mini I have.. Good luck.... I still need to be adopted!!!!
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i dont have a mini 14 and not really the answer to yuor question but i put a matte black scope on my ruger 77 mk11 vt with that grey color they use and have had been told that it looks really sharp that way and i like the contrast myself.

On edit....judgecolt i put a scope on my brothers stainless mini14 ranch couple weeks ago and sighted in for him. as far as a stainless match for a scope i dont know what would match real close i put a gloss black one on his mini looks allright. i spend a lot of hrs in gun shops i have a pretty good idea of what just about everygun looks like i am a gun nut [;)] doc
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the replies to date. I continue to look for the closest match for the color of the stainless Mini-14. I will look at the Leupold. As cowdoc may not know, the stainless Minis are not the darkened stainless of the VT, which nothing matches as far as I can tell.

Anybody else have a suggestion?

(In case anyone wonders, I know a Mini with a scope is sort of an oxymoron, but I LOVE stainless guns and have a compulsion to scope a Mini Ranch.)
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My son has an older Leupold vari-x ll stainless on his ranch mini 14.
    It has a muted silver look to it that matches pretty well.

It's cute. And looks nice, kinda like equiptment on a steer.

Judge Colt,

I have always been impressed with the wealth of knowledge that you have on so many different subjects so I'm not going to question your motives now.[:p][:D][:)][:0]

Old? First you forget names; then you forget faces; then you forget to pull your zipper up; then you forget to pull your zipper down.
    standard.jpg
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Judge, I just got a matte scope for a friend who told me his mini was blue but when he brought it to me it was stainless! i went ahead and put the scope on and was impressed with the look of the matte on it. Because of the black shroud it looks pretty good. If the darn thing would shoot as good as it looks, it would be great! But it won't!!!! GHD
  • SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your Mini shoots well, who cares what it looks like? Rifles are not fashion statements.
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sunray, you are certainly right. Since you have stated the obvious, I will bet you do not care if the wood is nice on your rifles, or whether it is damaged or dented. I will further bet you do not care if the blue is gone or the surface is rusted, as long as the rifle shoots well. That sure opens up your selection of rifles and saves a lot of money, although, if those things do not matter, do you try to get a discount because those defects are present?

Well, Minis do not shoot well so they have to look good! To paraphrase Billy Chrystal, it is better to look good than to shoot good (well)! (Just kidding Mini lovers.)

This Mini beauty contest project I am considering is just a diversion. I want a scoped .223 rifle that will not rust if exposed to temperature extremes under less than ideal storage conditions. I always like things to match, and have long wished that someone would make a scope with a true stainless steel body. Since no one makes such a scope, I am asking for advice on what scopes come the closest to matching the bare stainless finish on a Mini. I want the best match, not a contrast that some may consider attractive.

Thanks again to those who have replied to date. Any more suggestions?
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Hey Judge, I got a idea for you, buy another sta 14 take the stock off of it,send the metal to a foundry and have them melt it down, send it to a japan scope maker and have them make you one out of it. that way it will match.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your Honor you might talk with the folks at www.bearbasin.com they sell quality scopes and rings and should be able to give you a good idea about color matching. I think you can e-mail them as well.