In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

pre-64 case damage problem

jamesgrayjamesgray Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
edited December 2002 in Ask the Experts
my bolt action Win. 70 (1962 or 63).270 has had a problem since I have owned it: If you eject a spent casing with enough force to send it flipping out onto the ground, it will have a dent in the neck that has to be re-rounded before it can be reloaded. The mouth of the casing ends up looking like a "D" instead of an "O". it's a real pain. I have learned to eject the spent casing very carefully into my hand so they don't get bent on the way out, but I wanted to know if anybody has had or heard of this problem. Can it be a sign of more trouble to come? Can it be fixed easily? Should I just quit crying and always make one-shot kills with no need for a quick follow-up? any input appreciated.

Comments

• wapo3030wapo3030 Member Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is not a problem....as the spent round is removed from the chamber the base of the case hits the ejector...the case mouth is pivoted to the right and strikes the action on ejection. I don't let my rounds hit the ground if I am going to reload. Like you said I hold my hand over the action and eject into my hand.