In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Blackpowder Experts?

thebutcherthebutcher Member Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in Ask the Experts
I am looking for a relatively inexpensive (less than $200), basic, beginner muzzloader. I have heard that the CVA Hawken and Bobcat are good choices. Does anyone know anything about these or have other suggestions? Help is greatly appreciated.
The definition of an "expert":An "X" is an unknown quantity and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure.

Comments

• Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    while your looking go to Dixie Gunworks and look around http://www.dixiegunworks.com
  • Options
    OzlanderOzlander Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So an 'expert' is an unknown drip under pressure.
  • Options
    roundballroundball Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used Thompson Center Arms Hawken rifles for years in various calibers; It's hard to beat the quality and reliability of a T/C Arms rifle, and they have a lifetime warranty which they stand behind 100%;Suggest you strongly consider a clean, used, .50cal percussion model and you won't be disappointed;Search on "Thompson Center" on these auction sites...you can usually run across a good clean .50cal Hawken in the $200-250 range;wjcutbush@aol.com
  • Options
    spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the sportman Guide. They have a kit that is like $120 plus shipping. It is more fun to build one your-self. I bought two CVA Staghorn 50 cal in-line, one for me and another for my wife, for $70.00 each. It is just the basic in-line that using the 209 shotgun primer, plus it is drilled and taps for a scope mounts, but you will have to buy the other things.
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to be a PERT,but now I'm an EXPERT.
    ATF
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    X-Pert someone who borrows your watch to tell you what time it is.
  • Options
    turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use to an expert, but now I'm just a whizz.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The TC Hawken is a fine rifle for the price. Also consider the in-lines like the Black Diamond. I often hunt with a Black Diamond while my partner hunts with a Hawken. Both are fine hunting rifles. You can often pick up good quality Hawkens used. They work well with the new pelleted powder substitutes.
  • Options
    The ButcherThe Butcher Member Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey the butcher, great cyber name. It could get confusing though. Who was here first?
  • Options
    RugernutRugernut Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A real muzzle-loader uses a side lock. In lines are for cheaters. The whole reason muzzle loading is more fun is because it is more of a challenge! Just my two cents.