In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

unusual winchester 74

dmackdmack Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited October 2007 in Ask the Experts
iwinchester74.jpgmg] Has anybody seen a 74 stock like this, or is it something somebody made? Any information? Thanks, Darrell

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Darrell,

Somebody other that Winchester made the stock.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is that two pieces of wood? (Maybe a broken W-W stock repaired by splicing with another W=W?)
    If one pc of wood and color is somekind of finish issue, it may be an original stock with a strange refinish job?
    Either way, I've never seen anything like it on dozens of 74's I've handled over the years.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As above, also missing rear sight elevator[:0],, nambu
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I am confussed [:I]The contour of the butt and forearm and even the cartridge loading cut Look Factory to me [:0] AM I missing something [?]Looks to me as just a segment of pistol grip and forearm "PAINTED" to give contrast in color. If this is TWO DIFFERENT kinds of wood then all bets are off on my part.
  • bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like someone started to checker the two dark areas, changed their mind and stained it darker than the rest of the finish. Definitely not factory work.
    I ordered a replacement, semi-inleted stock for a M74 near 30 years ago. Don't remember who made it.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    It looks like some painted or stained the sections darker than the rest for contrast. It is sure different than mine.