In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Recoil Pad

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited October 2007 in Ask the Experts
I'm going to put a recoil pad on a 45/70 SMLE - Gibbs Summit. Any suggestions on a recoil pad brand that is grindable? I checked out Brownells and nothing really jumps out at me.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'd like to buy an adjustable recoil pad for my trap gun, any suggestions on brand or type? any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What are some good recoil pads for rifles and where can I find the?. The gun is a 7mm mag and I am looking for a good high quality pad with a good price.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Need to fit a new recoil pad onto an already finished stock,What would be the best way to do this.Have access to a hand grinder,but not a belt sander,I have never ground one before and am wondering,what I am going to run into.Thought about bolting old pad and new pad togeather,To get close,then finish sanding by hand.Also will the new pad fuzz up and tear,or is the composistion of the pad going to be hard ?.......Hope someone can help.Thank you..Rem 308.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The grind to fit Limb-Savers are a nice pad, and if you grind away the excess SLOWLY you will not have a problem. Get em hot and they get weird and will not look nice when finished.
    I rarely use anything else anymore for whatever thats worth.........
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrbruce
    The grind to fit Limb-Savers are a nice pad, and if you grind away the excess SLOWLY you will not have a problem. Get em hot and they get weird and will not look nice when finished.
    I rarely use anything else anymore for whatever thats worth.........

Thank. The SMLE buttstock is 4.3" long X 1.6" wide and I can get a small Limbsaver that comes pretty close. Can the grind be done by hand?
  • Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    I'm with bruce, that's all I use when a customer wants a pad. I supose it could be done by hand but I haven't seen too many done by hand that looks all that great. Maybe if you take your time and don't have to remove too much material it will turn out ok. We use a jig and disc sander, takes 10 min and keeps all the angles correct. Throwing it in the freezer for a little bit will help when using a disc sander to keep it from "melting" as bad. Without some sort of power sander "I" believe you'll have a hard time removing the rubber it's so soft.

Ben
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I use a disc sander untill I get close, then use the belt sander to finish them. You can use a hand belt sander if you are careful, and go slow. Remember to put masking tape on the stock at the edge of the recoil pad to protect the stock. Just sand down to it.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    LimbSaver pads are great. I have fit alot of pads and until they came out Pachmayer was the brand. Now I go with LimbSaver most of the time. If you look at the LimbSaver website they have many templates that you can print to help you figure out what size pad to get. www.simsvibrationlab.com

I usually get mine fron Brownells.