In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

colt 1911 what year is it ?

johnny yumajohnny yuma Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited October 2007 in Ask the Experts
i found a colt 1911 for sale the serial # is XXXXXXXXX
can you tell me if its a 1911 or a different model.
what is the value of it?

Comments

• COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...I have a Chevy truck that is Blue, how much is it worth??

...THAT, is absolute worthless ifno for trying to decide a value of a gun.

...Appears to be a S 70 Model 1911...if I remember correctly, Colt threw in the "B" into the serial on the new repros of their original series 70 1911's. If it's a Colt...and it's not a revolver...and it's cal is 9mm, 38 Super, 40 S & W (rarely) .45acp...and looks similar to this
    McCormickFactoryRacer005.jpg
    ..it's a 1911.

..Call Colt Customer Service, it's free. Give the nice people the serial, they will tell you what year the Colt was made. From there you need GOOD pics, an accurate description if want help with the value. Some of us may keep up w/the values of certain brands of guns, but we are not mind reading wizards...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How supercilious we have become with new members.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    To John Carr: agreed. Wonder how many new folks have refrained from further questions because of this. It's like asking a doctor a question you feel is legitimate, and the MD treats you with distain. Makes you feel small.

To Johnny Yuma: As previously mentioned, pictures of the firearm, or a good description will help. Don't run from us. You'll get good answers to your questions. Hang in there. Lots of knowledge on this forum. You'll see. Best, Joe
    edited November -1
    ...I won't even go into giving you two the answer I should.
    givette...john carr

In ya'll's infinite wisdom, please give at least SOME...or even MORE info than what I gave Yuma...as you both decided in a lame manner to hammer on me...WITHOUT giving YUMA one iota of info!...which I DID give along with WHERE he could identify the year his Colt was made by it's serial(Colt customer service) AND pointed out why much more info (UNLESS that is, ya'll have SOME...ANY info) would be hard to give with the beyond limited info he posted.

...Sooo sorry ya'll are so thin skinned as to be offended by being confronted with/pointing out facts, while still being internet rambo's enough to attempt to rag me for my method of delivery of "the way it is"...to borrow a phrase from DWS..."BITE ME"...[:D]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    ...Again "Mr Knowledge"...give the man some info, THATS what he ask for and I gave...not just attempts to rag me w/immature remarks, OH! You DON'T have anything to contribute with the lack of info Yuma gave, just "trolling" around for something/someone to "try" and pick on?...your comments never addressed the mans questions...now did they?...my misstake...[^]

..Im done, conversations (if they can be called that) with someone that attempts to talk, but says nothing really bore me...another borrowed phrase from DWS..*...[;)]
    ... Mods, Im thru as long as the Einstiens are.

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Strikes me, that you and DWS, have a lot in common.
    edited November -1
    ...rufe, maybe in the fact I will not take crap from someone that offered NO help at all for the man who ask the question...just veiled criticism of how I answered the man the best I could with what info he presented...I at LEAST offered the man some help, they did not.

...Granted I could have added some candied coated answer...but I just used plain straight forward language...and THAT is a reason for these two to NOT answer/even ATTEMPT to answer his post but make an attempt to critisize me? I think not...being PC and beating around the bush, does not work for me....for some it does. I dont see where I insulted or was rude to Yuma at all....I offered some help, which he asked for, laced with VERY slight sarcasism...please burn me and my family at the stake, geeze...lighten up people!

I suggest looking thru some past replies where people gave poor info and expected a wealth of info that was not attainable from the info the gave...FAR worse and down right insulting...I don't belive my reply remotely approached some of those replies.

...Please point out what it was I said that was "so" bad...I don't see it; plain language yes, belittlement no...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Colt: Sorry to cause such a ruckus. My msg was designed to get Jonny Yuma to feel comfortable with this forum...so he may continue to use the experts, which you are. No question of that. No, my response wasn't a technical one. In the future I'll sit on my hands. Best, Joe

PS You're welcome to E-mail me. Joe
  • johnny yumajohnny yuma Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey don't worry guys! i stayed up till 1 last night looking it up. i found everything i needed to know. i tried the serial number post on here but it had a 70g instead of a b, and that's what through me off.
    i found out its a series 70 made between 81 and 83.

as for what its worth, i can tell you. $700 that's what i paid for it today. now maybe that was cheap and maybe i got ripped, but i don't really care. i wanted it and now i have it. i just have to wait for it to clear registration to pick it up.oh here is where i found the info on the serial #

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/s70_colts.htm