In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W 5906 vs 6906

grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I am interested in buying one of these 2 models, they are both police buy-backs. Which is a better deal, the 5906 for $415, or the 6906 for $239.

Thanks, Grizztribefans@sssnet.com

Comments

• lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 6906 is the compact, the 5906 is the full size. Both take double stack magazines, are traditional double actions, and have similar mechanical designs, just the 6906 is shorter in the grip and in the slide. For the dollar difference, I'd have to look at the 6906. If they were they same price, I might consider the 5906, but at $176 less, the 6906 would be the one to go for. The 5906 will be heavier with the all stainless construction. The 6906 will have a stainless slide and an alloy frame, hence both smaller and lighter. Above and beyond that, you need to decide if one or the other fits your hand better.

LRARMSX@MCHSI.COM
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    The 6906 will have more felt recoil than the heavier 5906. Both are excellent guns. If you are a small man and plan to carry, the 6906 would be better for that. The 5906 will have a better accuracy at longer ranges.

As to your question, the 6906 is the better value, but buy the gun you want regardless of the price. You'll be happier in the long run.

The NRA is on our side!
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the 5906 better, I just want to be sure that I'm not over-spending.

• SG&A , INC.SG&A , INC. Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since they are police trades you might want to ask the dealer if he can do better on the price. The worst he can do is say no. I'm in the business and occasionally can reduce the price a little if I know I can replace said gun with a phone call. My 2 cents.
    Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

STAY SAFE
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    $415 seems a little high to me for the 5906. I bought a new one in the box for $410, two years ago. I bought a second (Police Trade) from 74cuda here on the "want to buy" forum for $275 a year ago. It was mechanically a perfect gun (fired very little), but had a lot of holster wear. I took it apart, bead blasted the frame and slide, put a new set of grips on it, and it looked like new. My wife carries it now.

His e-mail is mrguns@westriv.com
    His name is Rick.

Go over to the want add forum and put a post over there. See what kind of offers you get. You may beat the price.

The NRA is on our side!
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the input fellas. It really does help!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• toolman9mmtoolman9mm Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    feels great to hear people talking well about smith and wesson..they did sell out but i think they are on the right track again...i own a 4516-2 and a 6904 police trade-in i have had for ten years and both of these fuction flawlessly...just my two cents tom