In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What A wonderful Wife

358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
My better half gave me a new 300wsm for Xmas and I didn't even ask for it. now I was hoping that some of you might help me with bullet choice. I hunt small whitetail deer in northwest Flordia.
I was thinking that 150 to 165 grain would be the best but would like to here from the experts.

SUPPORT SHOOTING AND RELOADING HELP TEACH OTHERS

Comments

• ka11ka11 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to say this but it really depends. That is, the range your shooting and how well the gun shoots. Personnally I would start witht the 150, either will surely kill a white tail but the 150 should give you a little more accuracy for shorter ranges.

Can you substitute Cross-Hairs for lost hair? Bald is beautiful
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have a wife like I had, when she was alive.Don't lose her.

[8D]

ATF
  • tim355tim355 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with the heaviest bullet possible, for knock down power and shocking power....see how the heavy bullets group, as you can't kill something deader than dead. We owe it to the animals to produce clean, quick kills, without losing them in the brush.
    By the way, my wife let me buy a Remington Model Four in 30.06. I finally succumbed to the fact that a 30/30 winchecter is not the perfect round. Hard to beat a 300wsm or 30.06. I may even buy a Marlin .444 for the deer here in Missouri.
    Now go buy her something nicer.

Tim
  • easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, in 30 caliber bullets I REALLY like the 165 grainers for light game. That bullet weight is close to idea sectional density for the rate of twist in most 30 caliber barrels. The 165's also perform well at short ranges without blowing up as easily. The sectional density (esp. if a boattail) gives them excellent long range performance as well. Key is going to be buying the brand/bullet design that 'YOUR RIFLE LIKES'. Or if you handload there are a lot of potential recipes (case, primer, powder, bullet, & seating depth).

Have fun[:p]!!! Give her another big hug.

SEMPER FI