In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Jammin Browning Part 2

gad38gad38 Member Posts: 179
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I measures the chamber on the Browning and it was 2 3/4 . then compared it to my sweet 16 which was 3 in deep.So you guys were probably correct on the 2 9/16 guess. My next questio is can this gun be converted to 2 3/4 ,and what is involved?.........Thanks ,Greg

Comments

• PythonPython Member Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gad38;
    I appearently missed part one of this discussion. However if you have an old shotgun with the european 2&9/16 chambering they can, in alot of cases be rechambered. You will have to measure the barrel wall thinkness in the area the chamber will be extented, to make absolutely certain it will not thin of below minimum chamber thickness.
    If there is plenty out wall thinkness, Select the proper gauge chamber rheem and lenghten the chamber to 2&3/4. However, rechambering will have a very detramintal effect on the collector value.

P.S. In my youth I rechambered a Holland&Holland double to 2&3/4, I still have the gun, It reminds me that just because it can be done, does not always mean it should be.
  • jkksjkks Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would call Browning they can give you the info for boring out the chamber. this has been done to many A-5. I would thik any comp-smith could do this -there is no great collector value for this gun at this time.Or you can find another barrel ![^][B)]
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Greg, I have Brownell's book, Encyclopedia of Modern Firearms, Parts & Assembly, Volume One. He lists all the parts that must be modified to convert the gun to handle 2 3/4" shells. They are summarized below:
    The shell port on the receiver must be lengthened.........
    The link must be altered to prevent the rear portion of the link from over-riding the safety sear..........
    Carrier - To accept the longer shell from the magazine, the carrier must be altered at the shell stop portion........
    Locking Block Latch - The shell stop portion of the locking block latch me be cut to the rearward........
    Ejector - The fixed ejector must be altered to movable sliding type...
    Barrel - The barrel extension is one of the items of the 16 Ga Browning that is carborized. This necessitates the use of a handy grinder......The barrel and barrel extension must be ground to clear the front end of the longer shell.......
    Forearm - The forearm must be altered to let the barrel forward.....

These instructions take up a page and a half in the book and also include some drawings. I would think Bob Brownell knows his business and that these modifications are necessary.

It seems to me that you have been given some very simplistic and inaccurate advice on this forum and hope that you consult a competent gunsmith before attempting to have the modification done.
  • gad38gad38 Member Posts: 179
    edited November -1
    Thanks very much for all the advice. I think I will either leave this gun alone and buy another A-5, or part this one out........Sounds like it wouldn't be worth the change-over..........Thanks again........Greg
  • road lizardroad lizard Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Greg; I have owned and hunted with a Browning converted A-5. It does take quite a bit to convert it as previously listed. the gun that I owned was converted by Simmons and was a very good job. The only drawback to the gun was that it would jam quite often. Empty casing would hang or round would not feed. Never did get it to function right so I ended up trading it. So even after you get your gun converted, you might have to tinker with it to make it reliable.

Kenneth G. Morgan
  • elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Greg there is ammo for this gun you just got to look for it. As for parting out don't sell it there is lots of guys would buy it. By the way how much would you want?

bull.txt
    col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    O give me a home where no democrats roam
  • AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello "gad38"[:)]

European length shotshells are available from Ballistic Products, Inc.

Their website is www.ballisticproducts.com

1 ounce Gamebore shotshells are available in 6's or 7's. If you don't shoot that many boxes a year it might be worthwhile to consider them. I buy them for my Dumoulin SXS as I don't use that many of them per year. They also have Fiocchi 16 gauge short hulls and components if you have the capacity to reload 16 gauge shotshells.

Best Regards And A Happy New Year's Day --- or at least what remains of it.[:)]
  • gad38gad38 Member Posts: 179
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, I think I'll hang on to the gun,order some shells,and see what happens..........Thanks again, Greg
  • bbq05bbq05 Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last time I checked Browning wanted $150+ to convert sizes.

America...Bless God.