In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help with shipping long guns

2beagles2beagles Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me how an individual, not ffl dealer, is shipping long guns to ffl dealers ?????? Doug

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best way in my opinion is by USPS Priority Mail. That is for long guns only, if you don't have FFL. Using the USPS enables you to by pass the thieves at FedEx and their requirement for overnight priority.
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    this is what i do after I receive the dealers FFL , go to the sellers page here on gunbroker and verify their license, print the page that comes up showing that they have a good license , take that with me to UPS , I then give that to the UPS clerk and tell them I want to ship a firearm to that dealer I ship ground with insurance unless the buyer wants some other form and thats all there is to it for me , oh and I take that print out and staple it to the FFL for my records
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hate to say it, but here in Maine it costs a lot more to ship a long gun by the Post Office opposed to U.P.S.

[|)] [|)]

ATF
  • road lizardroad lizard Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might run into this problem. Here in Austin TX. all of the FFL dealers that I have talked to will not receive a firearm without a copy of the senders FFL. It seems that when they have thier records checked by the ATF, the only form of ID that is acceptable for firearms received via shipping is an FFL. Dealers have told me that the ATF does not view a photocopy of a drivers license as valid because anyone can send a fake. So you might not be able to ship to some areas for this reason. Seems to maybe vary by region. Has anybody else run into this. Would like to know.

Kenneth G. Morgan
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    road lizard, there are still a few dealers left who do this; they are either greedy or ignorant. The Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide (ATF P5300.4), which EVERY dealer has, clearly states that when a dealer receives a firearm, he can enter in his bound book the seller's "License # or name/address". It says nothing about where he should get the name/address.

The problem I often had was that UPS would refuse to accept my package because I didn't have an FFL. I now declare all guns as "firearm for repair"; it's a lie, but legal.

Neal
  • 2beagles2beagles Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone! I will try UPS... Seems I can put a box cutter in a box and send it any way I want, to anyone I want !!!!!!
  • john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    2beagles--all you need is the ffl of the dealer you are sending the rifle to, just make sure the date is valid on the ffl. Take it to the post office and ship it priority mail ins with signature confermation. Thats all there is to it. I have been doing this for years.This is according to the atf and the post office rules. Handguns can only be shipped UPS as the post office requires ffl to ffl. If the P/O gives you any crap ask to speak to the supervisor and inform HIM to check HIS rules.You can research this at the atf website and the postal web site also.

It's All Crapola!!!