In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Coating on Winchester ammo

Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
My old sporterized Springfield 03-A3 (still in 30-06 caliber) has served me well for many years...it's taken countless deer, elk, coyotes, and an occasional dog that chases cattle. But it never produced 1" accuracy until I tried Winchester's 150 gr. PowerPoint Plus ammo. With this ammo I can hold 5 rounds in slightly less than 1" at 100 yards, and maybe someone who could shoot better could beat that.

My question: What is the dark grey coating Winchester puts on the bullets? I think this coating may be what agrees with my rifle, since up until now I've been using standard copper jacketed bullets.

Thanks in advance,
Rafter-S

"What is truth? No wonder jesting Pilate turned away. The truth, it has a thousand faces -- show only one of them, and the whole truth flies away! But how to show the whole? That is the question."
--Thomas Wolfe, "You Can't Go Home Again" (1934)

Comments

• Options
    PythonPython Member Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rafter-s;
    This coating is a trade secret of Olin Industries. They will not devulge it's chemical composition. They say only it is a lubricant and aids in sealing the bore during firing. It is approx 1.2 mils thick. Your observation that this coating may agree with your rifle is,in all likelyhood, correct. o3's were brouch rifled, which produces deep sharp riflings. While these wear well, they can be diffacult to seal due to the sharp edged groves and lands. If this ammo agrees with your rifle, this is the ammo to use. In the quest for accuracy anything that improves performance this much at basicly no expense, since you have to fire some kind of ammo anyway, is a good as it gets.
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input, Python.

I also noticed that the bore is much easier to clean with this ammo, and there again I attribute it to the coating.

I'm glad Winchester was able to hold the cost down on their process. Walmart sells the ammo for $15 a box.

Respectfully,
    Rafter-S

"What is truth? No wonder jesting Pilate turned away. The truth, it has a thousand faces -- show only one of them, and the whole truth flies away! But how to show the whole? That is the question."
    --Thomas Wolfe, "You Can't Go Home Again" (1934)
  • Options
    easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow! I guess I haven't been shopping for premium factory ammo for a long time...that price is great!

SEMPER FI