In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

walther P1 any good from SOG

john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
are the walther p1 from sog any good. For the price i would think they would make a good shooter. How is the finish and are they worn out or are they in decent shape.===Thanks

It's All Crapola!!!

Comments

• rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If by P1 you are referring to the police trade-in alloy Walther P-38 9mm's, there are several things to watch for. The first is the rifling. I was working for a dealer when they started arriving in the 80's and went through most of them checking for condition. Most looked to be in good to excellent shape showing some holster wear, however in many the rifling looked worn. It appears the German police were very meticulous about keeping the guns clean. Meticulous to the point where I was told they cleaned the guns every day whether they had been fired or not.

The second has to do with the alloy frame. One of the problems with this variation of the P-38 was problems with the alloy frame cracking. This was resolved in the later P-5 by using steel inserts.

On the other side, I have several and enjoy shooting them.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As the previous poster said the early manufactured postwar P-38's with alloy frames had trouble with the frames cracking. Back in the 80's when the first ex West German Police & Military P 1's were imported some were failing at barely over 1000 rounds.
    The Walther people were aware of this shortcoming and fixed it on the later versions "P-4" & "P-5" with a steel hex bolt pressed transversely through the frame, right above the trigger.
    Supposedly the later produced versions of the P-1 had this same feature added.
    I would urge you to make sure the P-1 you purchase is fitted with this reinforcing hex bolt.
  • PythonPython Member Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    John;
    These old and not so old pistols have their own,,, unique set of problems you could incounter. P-1's were prone the develope frame cracks. Also the firing pin galley covers could weaken and fly off under recoil, causing the loss of several small parts. P-38's also can slide cracks at the forward end in the web, along in the problem with the fifing pin galley cover. This is not to say they are bad pistols, they are not. They are very good reliable pistol, in good shape. Care must be taken in the selection and maintenance of these pistols to prevent these things. Most of the P-1's currently on the market are police trade-ins. Some have seen heavy use while orthers very little. Something to bear in mind, these guns are getting old, so as with any aging arm, inspect, inspect,inspect very closely and pick only the best and cleanest one can find.
  • SG&A , INC.SG&A , INC. Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have sold quite a few of these and so far hvae not had any customer complaints. Just my 2 cents.

STAY SAFE
  • john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    thanks guy i will watch for those trouble spots all of you described. I think i will order one and look it over, Again thank you all

It's All Crapola!!!
  • lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just had a gentleman bring one in that had the entire slide internals blow out on him in the first magazine. The firing pin and cover were the only two peices he could find after they wizzed by his face. He wasn't hurt, but the gun now needs $80-100+ worth of parts to be whole again. It is missing the chamber loaded indicator and spring, firing pin block and spring, rear sight, and the firing pin spring. The gun appears undamaged, but we haven't determined why all the parts blew off/out, after only 8rds.
  • JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In general, they are very nice. As far as the cracking frame, don't worry about it. Don't use +P or +P+ ammo. Also, these were not designed with hollow points in mind. You will have to experiment with any hollow point ammo to find a reliable feed. Also, you will find that in later p-1s, there is a strengthening pin inserted inthe frame. I believe that these are also the ones that have the slide serrations that go past the saftey when it is off. Check out www.p38forum.com for more info.
  • john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    just recieved mine and it looks mighty fine. Hex bolt thru frame good bore no cracks nice holster. That other P1 that blw up most likely was caused by a ruptured shell caseing. The same thing happened to me with a glock 21.

It's All Crapola!!!