In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Japanese & Italian contract rifles

11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I've seen afew japanese military rifles that where supposed to be rifles supplied by the Italian govt. of the time. They look like normal Japanese rifles BUT with a Carcano bolt! This seems like a every unlikely arrangement. Do any history buffs out there have any insight on these rifles and/or there contract? THX! ...Mark

"FEAR the Goverment, that fears your ARMS"

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Japanese Carcano's were manufactured in Italy in the late 1930's for a Japanese Military contract. This link gives a most excellent history of Italian military rifles and goes into detail on the " TYPE I " contract, which is how collectors refer to the Italian produced Japanese military rifles.

http://attila.stevens-tech.edu/~glibera1/carcano/models.html
  • king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are referring to the Japanese Type "I". It has external dimensions approxomating the Type 38 (to minimize transitional difficulties), is in cal 6.5 Arisaka, and accepts the Japanese bayonet.
    In the late 1930's, the Axis may not have been formalized, but they knew it was coming. The rifles were made in Italy, and were essentially a "black" gun, since there were no markings on them other than a SN on the bbl!They were made at three sites in Italy including the Beretta plant. Now Pietro & Co did not like the idea of not marking their product and so they were a bit sneaky! On the Beretta guns, If you look carefully on the safety tab, you will find a small "PB".
    The action of these rifles is pure Carcano, (although not interchangable with the Italian Carcanos,) but with the Mauser type magazine of the Arisaka.
    They are typically great shooters, perhaps more accurate than the Arisakas, but like the other Carcanos, very difficult to sporterize.
    There is very little information on their actual usage since the Japanese did not highly respect "gaijen" products. It is known that some Marine units were equipped with Type "I"s.
    Hope I've been of some help.
    Have fun, be careful!
    Morty
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    They aren't rare really but are uncommon compared to Carcano and Arisaka rifles. There is also a variant with the I hook safety that comes into play but I'm embarrassed to note that I'm a bit ignorant on it.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • 11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HEY THANKS to all the guys that added to my knowlege here! Special Thanks to rufe-snow, VERY GOOD link on the type "I" rifle ...Thanks again!!! ...Mark

"FEAR the Goverment, that fears your ARMS"