In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

small rifle primers

rcguymercguyme Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
hello i am new to reloading and have a couple boxs of small rifle primers.So i see in some ads saying the primers are bench rest primers ??? what does that mean? and what primers do i look for to reload the M1 .30 carbine shells and powder type for the same rifle like i said i am new to this topic thanks

Comments

• NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    If you are new to reloading like you sate there is only ONE piece of advice I have for you.

Gets some bookS (not just book) and read them, then reread them, then read them one more time. After that then it is time to come ask questions.

There are lots of good books out there. I have not read it but I have heard the ABC's of Reloading is a great one. Also most of the major reloading books have "how to" sections in the front of them.
  • rcguymercguyme Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well that answer did nothing maybe if i didnt ask nothing here i would just flap my lips but on the other hand this is the ask the experts as far as books i have quite a few i have been reading and will still read for as long as it take to learn what i need to know but again this is a forum to ask such questians or is it just a place were real smart arces call home i will go were people will try to help not rant [xx(]
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well if you had read the books then those answers will be in there. You are the one that stated you were "new to this topic" so I gave you the best info out there.

The .30 Carbine uses small rifle primers.

As for powder if I wanted to know what kind and what charge I would look in the BOOKS as that is what the info in them is for. Secondly even if someone was to give me a load I would check it against the book to make sure it was within a safe range. People can make typos and mistakes when typing loads on to a web site. It is also possible for misprints in books which is the reason to have more then one book.

Sorry if the CORRECT answer was not the one you were looking for.
  • carolinashootercarolinashooter Member Posts: 339 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    rcguyme, You will need small rifle primers for the M1 carbine loading. Benchrest primers would be wasted in a carbine. Sort of like putting premium gas in a Ford Pinto expecting a muscle car to appear. You will need slower burning powder such as AA#9 or Winchester 296. I have used both with good results. The carbine can be picky about cartridge trim length. Trim any once fired brass to the recommended length. Trim to minimun and you can usually not have to do it again for several loadings. I have intentially left out loading data. You should be able to find charge weights and corresponding bullet weights in your manuals. One last thing. When you prime your cases be sure that the primers are just below flush with the base of the case. This will prevent slamfires. They can ruin your entire day!! This is not a step by step process I have laid out here obviously. You asked what powder and primers to use, I told you what is generally used. The rest is just a couple of tips when loading for the carbine. Welcome and good luck.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A benchrest primer is a primer that is kept to a higher standard than regular primers. This means that they are more uniform from primer to primer than standard. They cost more because of this. You can certainly use them in your M1 Carbine (it uses small rifle primers) but as already stated they will not be of any added benefit. I use Hodgdon H110 for the Carbine and as caolinashooter stated W296 will work fine as well. These powders are unique as you can cause pressure issues by using to little powder. Don't go below the reccomended start charge with these.
  • rcguymercguyme Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    carolinashooter and BHAVIN i want to thank you for the infomation you posted evey bit i learn will help me on my way to reloading books does not all ways tell you every small factor or even what type brand powder to buy just a break down on what is needed you answers were very good thanks
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    H-110 is excellent for 30 carbine! Make sure you lube your cases, I use Hornady One Shot, easy to use, works great, just be sure to coat the entire case with the spray and let it run down, then most importantly, wait for the lube to dry before trying to resize! Nothing worse than a case stuck in a sizing die! Kind of brings the whole operation to a halt right quick!

I don't think NWCID was being rude, he is correct that the first step is to buy some books and read them, then watch someone who is competent at reloading as they perform each step. Thats how I learned, I sat and watch an old timer as he cranked out rounds, asked alot of questions and tried my hand at each step in the process until I was confident in my own ability.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Save the bench rest primers for when you have some experience behind you and want to try for extreme accuracy with a favorite load.
    Buy several books.
    Use the bullet specified in the loading table.
    Get a caliper, measure and use the bullet seating depth in the table.
    Use the brand of primer in the loading table.
    Don't start with maximum loads.
    Loading can get boring but mistakes happen if you allow yourself to get distracted.
    Keep good notes.
    I loved the Carbine and shot up a lifetime's worth of ammo (free) in them.
  • glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a couple of members and moderators on this forum that have their spincters a little too tight. Just ignore them. Most are very willing to give real help without puffing and boasting. That said, you will find the group on the Competition and Reloading forum a lot more helpful for questions relative to reloading.
  • coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcguyme
    hello i am new to reloading and have a couple boxs of small rifle primers.So i see in some ads saying the primers are bench rest primers ??? what does that mean? and what primers do i look for to reload the M1 .30 carbine shells and powder type for the same rifle like i said i am new to this topic thanks

Because small rifle primers are extremely hard to find and you have benchrest small rifle primers, I say use them if you want to reload now. They will work fine.