In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ammo For Colt Police Positve

winchestercollector66winchestercollector66 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hi,
I recently purchased a first series colt police positve 6-shot revolver that has the markings 32 colt ctg on the barrel. I have other colt revolvers from this time period but I am confused on the correct ammunition that can be fired in this one? Any help would be great thanks in advance!! Winchestercollector66 [?]

Comments

• bandcollectorbandcollector Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .32 Long Colt (commonly called the .32 LC or simply .32 Colt) is a American centerfire fire revolver cartridge.

Introduced by Colt's with the New Line revolver in 1875, the .32 Colt was inspired by the .320 Revolver.[1] It originally used a .313 in (7.95 mm)-diameter 90 gr (5.8 g) outside-lubricated bullet, which was later changed to inside lubrication, leading to a diameter change to .299 in (7.59 mm), a slight reduction in bullet weight, and a shortening of overall length.[2]

With a case lengthened by .31 in (7.87 mm) over the .32 Short Colt[3] (which means the .32 SC will chamber and fire in any weapon designed for the LC), the .32LC is in the same class in power as the .32 Smith and Wesson Long,[4] without comparable accuracy.[5]

More popular in Europe than North America, only Colt chambered any weapons in .32 Long Colt,[6] most notably the Police Positive.

I havent seen your revolver so I'm not sure if I'm right but that is most likely the cartridge. I know they also chambered the police positive in .32 new police cartridge, but I think they marked them as such.
  • winchestercollector66winchestercollector66 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the information but to clarify you are stating that this revolver will shoot the 32 short colt or 32 long colt ammunition? I have been told it will shoot the 32 s&w ammo as well that is why I have asked to make sure!!! The revolver has a 6 inch barrel has the last patent date on it of 1905 and has a serial number of 137xxx which puts its manufacture date around 1916 thru 1917 if I am correct? It reads police positive 32 colt ctg on the left side of the barrel and has the first series black rubber grips on it!!!
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If a .32 S&W chambers, your revolver has been modified. The .32 Colt is a smaller diameter case than the S&W.
  • bandcollectorbandcollector Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt Police Positive
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Colt Police Positive

Blued Colt Police Positive revolver; six inch barrel
    Type Revolver
    Place of origin United States
    Production history
    Manufacturer Colt's Manufacturing Company
    Produced 1907-1947
    Variants See Variants
    Specifications
    Barrel length

* 2.5 in (63.5 mm)
    * 4 in (102 mm)
    * 5 in (125 mm)
    * 6 in (153 mm)

Cartridge

* .32 Long/Short Colt
    * .32 Colt New Police (.32 S&W Long)
    * .38 Colt New Police (.38 S&W)

Action double-action
    Feed system six round cylinder
    Sights Fixed iron; half-moon blade front, V-notch rear

The Colt Police Positive is a small frame double-action revolver featuring a six-round cylinder, chambered for either .32 or .38 caliber cartridges. Designed primarily for sale to federal, state, or local law enforcement agencies, the Police Positive was introduced into the firearms market by the Colt's Manufacturing Company in 1907.[1][2][3]

Contents
    [hide]

* 1 Development and history
    * 2 Features
    * 3 Variants
    o 3.1 Police Positive Target
    * 4 References

[edit] Development and history

The Colt Police Positive was an iterative improvement of Colt's earlier "New Police" revolver, upgraded with an internal hammer block safety. Colt christened this new security device the "Positive Lock", and its nomenclature ended up being incorporated as a partial namesake for the new revolver.[2] The cylinder of the Police Positive rotated in the clockwise direction, the opposite of firearms maker Smith & Wesson's competing models. Ever a canny competitor in the firearms milieu, Colt missed no opportunity to score a Coup d'?tat over its arch rival, and began a marketing campaign which accentuated this detail. In its advertising Colt proclaimed that "All Colt cylinders TURN TO THE RIGHT", and suggested that the Colt design forced the cylinder crane up against the frame, resulting in tighter lockup with less play and better chamber to barrel alignment, thus markedly increasing accuracy.[2] The Police Positive was very successful; along with the Colt Official Police it dominated the law enforcement firearms market in the early 1900's.[4] The Positive was itself incrementally modified in 1908, forming the basis for Colt's Police Positive Special model.[2]

[edit] Features

Produced with fine carbon steel, the Police Positive featured the Hartford, Connecticut gunmaker's characteristic highly polished surfaces, and was available with both its signature Colt Royal bluing and gleaming nickel plated finishes.[2] The First issue of the Police Positive ran from the revolver's introduction in 1907 until 1927. Sporting Colt's standard hard rubber grips, it was offered with barrel lengths of 2.5 (available only in .32 caliber), 4, 5, and 6 inches, and was chambered for the .32 Long Colt (which would also fit the .32 Short Colt), .32 Colt New Police, and .38 Colt New Police cartridges.[1][2][3][5] Checkered Walnut grips became standard after 1923. The Second issue began in 1928 and ran until 1947, adding a somewhat heavier frame as well as a serrated topstrap to reduce sight glare, while retaining the wooden grips.[5] Both of Colt's "New Police" rounds were actually slight redesigns of existing S&W cartridges, the .32 S&W Long and .38 S&W with the bullet noses flattened, as Colt resisted providing its main competitor with any free advertising.[2] Colt's Positive Lock safety, the innovation responsible for the gun's introduction, functioned by preventing the firing pin from striking the primer of the cartridge unless the trigger was deliberately pulled. Intended to address deficiencies of earlier models such as the Single Action Army, the Positive Lock prevented an accidental discharge even if the hammer was struck or the pistol was dropped, allowing the revolver to be safely carried with all six chambers loaded.[6] The revolver's sights consisted of a half-moon blade front with a fixed iron open rear sight, which was a simple V-notch shaped groove milled into the revolver's topstrap.[2]

[edit] Variants

[edit] Police Positive Target

Weighing 22 ounces and available with a blued finish and black hard rubber grips in .22 Long Rifle, .22 WRF, .32 Long (and Short) Colt, and .32 Colt New Police (.32 S&W Long) chamberings, the First issue of this model featured an adjustable open iron sighted 6 inch barrel and was marketed from 1907 to 1925, with checked Walnut grips replacing the rubber ones after 1923. A Second issue was sold from 1926 to 1941 and differed from the First in that it had a slightly heftier frame which upped the weight to 26 ounces; also Colt's nickel finish was offered as an option.[5] In today's collectable market, the .32 New Police version appears to be the most sought after and valuable.[2]
    edited November -1
    The 32 s&w will not chamber in the cylinder but the 32 short colt will chamber, have not tried to chamber the 32 long colt as I have not purchased this as of yet thanks!!!
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all of the help and information as it is very useful and helps me to understand between all of these different 32 cal.!!!
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An old catalog cut says: "...takes the .32 long and short Colt cartridges."
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Be aware that both the 32 short colt and 32long colt are very hard to find and pricey [:(]when you do. Marlin made a pump rifle that was a jewel that had 2 firing pins so this rifle would shoot 32colt short 32 colt long and ALSO 32 shot rimfire and 32 long rimfire I loved the rifle but when all 4 cartridges became hard to find and as far as I know none of the 4 are currently produced I let a marlin collector purchase it from me.

Edit Mike you are correct Brain F*** I was thinking lever and typed pump. I think Mine was model 1891. great little gun Mine had a compartment under the butt plate to hold the spare firing pin.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    " Marlin made a pump rifle"..........perry, that should be lever action. Winchester did make the .32 short colt cartridge recently and you may be able to find some on tha auction side. the .32 colt is basicly the centerfire version of the old .32 rim fire cartridge.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are more of a shooter than a purist collector you can have the cylinder chambers opened to 32 S&W Long. That way you can shoot it and reload for it. 32 Colt like 38 Colt and 41 Colt have "heel bullets"
    which are a b---h to reload and hard to find.
    If you can find a gunsmith with small letter stamps, he can stamp N.P.
    after .32 Colt meaning New Police which is identical to the 32 S&W Long.
    The 32 S&W Long is a fun cartridge to shoot and very easy to reload.