In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

another name for 8mm steyr ammo

golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
is there a euro designation etc

Comments

• iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    8x57R if i remember right ... maybe 8x56r ?
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    which one?

Standard "metric" or "europian" designation is bullet diameter x case length (both in mm), modifier. IE 8x50R 7.92x57 7.62x54R, 7.62x39 etc (Modifier codes "R"=Rimmed, no letter =rimless, "B"=Belted, "RB"+ Rebated, etc)
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iwannausername
    8x57R if i remember right ... maybe 8x56r ?

Considering Steyr is a rifle maker, that's kinda like saying what is the cartridge for a 30cal Remchester (lots of choices).
    Steyr made the M-95 in 8x50R and later the 8x56R for the Austrian-Hungerian empires, they also made K-98's (7.92x57) rifles for Germany, and than there's any sporting rifles they made plus any other countries that may have contracted with them to build rifles (IIRC they also made handguns, which is a whole 'nuther bag of snakes)
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I know of at least 4 or 5 different Steyr ammos in 8mm, of which the most common (right now) is 8X56R. It is sometimes referred to as M31 ammo as that was the date of adoption. I think. I don't have the book in front of me. But the 8X56R is the main designation.

What are you looking for, a non-metric designation? Doubtful you'll find one officially but it would be about 33 caliber as the bullet measures a nominal .329".
  • golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the ammo I'm looking to clarrify typically comes in a 5 round clip from 1938 & 1938 and nazi marked. The auction below is mine I sold some and he wants more and I might have found some but want to be sure

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=144232022
  • ManygunsManyguns Member Posts: 3,837
    edited November -1
    That would be 8X56R.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Just noticed your auction. If you want to have the buyer calculate the shipping fees, best to indicate what carrier will be used, and, most importantly, the weight of the item shipped. Rgds, Joe