In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rechambering rifle barrel from 22lr to 22 mag.

bigdog1bigdog1 Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in Ask the Experts
Question is this, I have a Ruger 10/22 match barrel that is chambered for 22lr. I'm thinking about buying a Ruger 10/22 22 magnum. I would like to have that barrel rechambered for the 22magnum. Question is, Can it be done, and if so, will it bolt up like the standard barrel on that 10/22???? Hummmmmmm......The possibilities.......

Comments

• hackerhacker Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bore is larger on mag. might mean unsafe pressures if rechambered from lr. on guns with two cylinders the barrel is bored for mag bullets.

i never make misteakes.
  • varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .22 mag first came out.A bunch of us reamed the chamber on our .22 for it.Every single one cracked the barrel just ahead of the chamber.

A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Similiar thing. I have an old model 90 Winchester that somebody put together out of pieces. The frame and receiver are two different serial #'s but they are WRF Winchester rim fire. Similiar to magnum. The barrel is a Marlin barrel marked 22 short, long and long rifle. It has been chambered for the WRF. I bought it years ago at a garage sale for$12.00. I know that the barrel is about .001 shy from being right but I have used it for years for a truck gun and it feeds and shoots very well and accurately. I had one guy tell me that it was impossible to put a Marlin barrel on a Winchester. I just said O.K.

AD ASTRA PER ASPERA

To the stars through difficulties
    standard.jpg
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    They both shoot .224 bullets. The 22 LR is a heeled bullet where the 22 Mag is not

AlleninAlaska aglore@gci.net

How would you rather die, 10,000 foot pounds of muzzle energy in the BUTT or a sharp knife in the HEART?
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try it you don't have much to lose. When you get the 22Mag
    compare the two barrels. If there is any machining to do it can't be
    that complicated. I wouldn't worry about damaging any modern 22lr barrel by converting it to 22Mag. The alleged 1/2 thousandth inch bore difference shouldnt mean anything.
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They both do NOT shoot the same .224 bullet. The .22LR is .222" and the .22WRM is .224". It should not be done.
  • hackerhacker Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am pretty sure the 22 mag uses a bullet a little bigger than the 22 long rifle. like .001? i can tell you for certain that a 22 mag round will not fit into a regular 22 chamber. its too big in diameter and will not even start to go in. i have a gun with two cylinders and the lr loses velocity and accuracy when shot from it compard to other 22 guns. the mags shoot great. i thought this was because of the bore being a little too big.

i never make misteakes.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    The 22 LR case is fitted on the heel of the bullet where as the 22 Mag is seated just like a centerfire cartridge, on the outside diameter of the bullet.

AlleninAlaska aglore@gci.net

How would you rather die, 10,000 foot pounds of muzzle energy in the BUTT or a sharp knife in the HEART?
  • varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you think you don't have much to loose,Then you better were shooting glases.Sooner are later you will be wiping gun powder off of them.Any body given any thought to pressure difference?

A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why on earth would anyone spend good money on a rechambering of a .22?? You can buy a new .22 mag, trade for one, or do without. If you ever sell it people will be skeptical about the Quality of the rechambering. It's a 100%losing proposition. Good luck!!