In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Buying brass on auction site or just new

PastaManPastaMan Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
I am new to Gunbroker. Since I am looking to buy .45 brass to reload for my Glock, are some of these offers really ok to go for? Especially the ones that say 1x fired, 500+ or 1000+ or 2000+ pieces that appear to be for pretty darn good prices! Or is it better for me to stick with going to my local store and buying the new Winchester .45 cases? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My rule whether right or wrong is-

If it all has the same headstamp, then it is probably once fired.
    Notice the "probably".
    If it is mixed then I doubt it.

But for 45 ACP I don't think it matters unless Bullseye shooting.

CP in Bonanza
  • PastaManPastaMan Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the quick response. Most of my shooting is just practice at the outdoor range (minimal indoor....lead fumes??), but 4x/summer I have started (at the amateur level) participating in the range's "Rock the Glock" competition. Pardon my ignorance, but is that competition what you are meaning by "bullseye shooting"?

Also, is my only way of knowing the reputation of the seller is to go by their feedback ratings?
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since a 45ACP is a low pressure round the cases tend to last a long time. The most dangerous failure in the brass would be a web failure and they are very rare. In most instances neck cracks will develop long before the brass is worn out from use or becomes dangerous to fire. The one exception is brass that has a noticeable base expansion from being fired in a open bolt machine gun like a Thompson. Since the brass listed on GB is most likely range brass it should be fine and dandy for your use. You can buy 2,000 pieces and expect to find six to 10 that are unusable. Overall, used brass is a great deal IMHO.
  • timkaratetimkarate Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was reading a magazine about reloading that they talked about chambers that where not fully supported. Some hand guns to make it so that the round chambers will do not have a chamber that fully goes around the brass. Which means when the round is fired part of the brass, not the chamber, takes the force which will make a weak spot in the brass. If that brass is reloaded and the weak spot is not supported by the chamber again the case will brake sending hot gas down into the mag which I be you can figure out what will happen then. I would first check to make sure that your gun does not have this problem. Besides that I would by the brass where ever you can find it cheapest. If you are just shooting for fun you might want to look online for ammo. I get 44 mag rounds for about $.20/round but that was before gas went through the roof. I did have to by at least 500 rounds but that is just more fun for me. www.bulkammo.com
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by timkarate
    I was reading a magazine about reloading that they talked about chambers that where not fully supported. Some hand guns to make it so that the round chambers will do not have a chamber that fully goes around the brass. Which means when the round is fired part of the brass, not the chamber, takes the force which will make a weak spot in the brass. If that brass is reloaded and the weak spot is not supported by the chamber again the case will brake sending hot gas down into the mag which I be you can figure out what will happen then. I would first check to make sure that your gun does not have this problem. Besides that I would by the brass where ever you can find it cheapest. If you are just shooting for fun you might want to look online for ammo. I get 44 mag rounds for about $.20/round but that was before gas went through the roof. I did have to by at least 500 rounds but that is just more fun for me. www.bulkammo.com

Actually; due to the design of a tilting barrel lock up and feed system all 45 ACP's of the Glock/1911 design have an area of unsupported case near the base. The low operating pressures of the 45 make this unsupported area acceptable. 45 ACP brass is rally hard to wear out with over 20 firings each being common.
  • PastaManPastaMan Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the comments. From what bppost1958 is saying, I should be okay with reloads for the Glock 30. I do tumble clean and inspect the cases...with naked eye under lamp, no magnifier, though. As for purchasing the 1x shot cases I see advertised on the GB auction, I'll look for the consistency of brand stamp in what is being auctioned. Any other tips/comments would be appreciated. Thanks again to those who have chimed in. Greatly appreciated!
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sent you an email on the subject
  • UncleFuddUncleFudd Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pastaman;

A few months ago I offered to help the guys here with brass from my indoor shooting range. (NO LEAD SMOKE). LOL

Anyway some of the guys took me up on it and they can probably tell you if it was worth while.

This is once fired but not sorted. I pick out most of the aluminum and steel cases and all of the rifle cases and shotgun hulls. But I do not have the time to sort by caliber at the same price.

The rate is $1.62 per pound and I can ship about 35 lbs in one box at the PO for $12.95 I believe.

This offer is still open although I am away for the summer. I can have my manager pick it out, weigh and ship if you are interested. The problem is that you get a mixed bag and I never know how it will be weighted or whether the shooters at the time were shooting what calibers the most.

But willing if this will help any of you. It has always bothered to see all that beautiful brass going back to the smelter in China or Japan etc.

UncleFudd