In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 Experts

haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
While I know how to completely take a 1911 apart, I need some help.

I bought a complete upper in 9mm, made by Springfield Armory ($250, much cheaper than Kimber quoted me). It had never been on a frame, and came with a complete slide, barrel with link, bushing, and ejector, and one magazine. I measured the groove in the ejector for the pin, and duplicated it into the new ejector and installed it. Everything works as it should.

Here is the question. Will I have to change the recoil spring? The gun was a full size Kimber TLE II. What kind of magazines work best with the 9mm??

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello for the most part the spring will be determined by the recoil impulse generated by the cartridge fired and the weight of the recoiling parts + how ridge the shooter holds the pistol . With this said The way I tune the recoil spring to any 1911 with any load in any cartridge is Getting a spring PACK from Wilson or Brownell's I start with a mid weight spring and load ONE round in a magazine I shoot this one round . If the slide stays back then I increase the weight of the spring and try this test again . Repeat with heavier spring untill the slide does NOT stay back "SLIDE DID NOT CYCLE ALL THE WAY." once I get fail to stay back I drop down one notch and test with one round ten times to make sure I have 100 %function. What you are looking for is the slide to fully cycle but still not beat up the frame and slide. Hope this helps. BTW the ejector does NOT need the cross pin to have the pistol to function properly THE slide will hold the ejector captive until you remove the slide from the frame. In this way you can change back and forth with no tools needed from 45ACP to 9MM. [:p][^]"PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by haroldchrismeyer
    What kind of magazines work best with the 9mm??

I use the Colt magazines specifically made for 9mm. They have a integral spacer in rear portion of the mag, to make up for the shorter overall length of the 9mm, as compared to the .38 Super. I've had functioning problems In the past, when I have attempted to use .38 Super Mags for 9mm cartridges.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Ues Springfield or Wilson or McCormic mags.