In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Protection in the woods?????

mikecarol63mikecarol63 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hi all; Its been awhile since I posted a question on here, but I need to get an answer to my bewilderment. I want to go into the woods to scout for a hunting location for deer. I hear that the bear population is very high this year, and I don't want to take a chance going in without self defense protection. I know chances are very slim that I would come upon a bear, but with the kind of luck I have, you never know. I can borrow a .45 semi-auto to take with me, and I wondered if that was enough? I'm not in a position to buy a .44 magnum, so that is out of the question. Is a .45 enough protection or not? I'm 72, and my wife will probably walk with me, for the exercise. I don't want to go in without. Thank you in advance, Mike

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A .45 semi auto will take care of a black bear.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    +1 on Allen Griggs for the most part unless you get between a Mother bear and her CUBS a bear will run away . get your wife one of the air horns at a sporting good store like DICKS that they use on boats . they are good for making bears leave bird feeders in your yard and in the woods I have never had to fire a shot at one yet but do carry just in case.
  • mikecarol63mikecarol63 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Allen and Perry; Thank you very much. Mike
  • Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    A 45+p will work on small black bears. Honestly, I never take anything less than a 357 Mag with me when I go out into the woods. Unless its grizzly country, then my 44 mag or my sporterized 303.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In an ideal situation, most large caliber handguns can take an animal the size of a black bear assuming a good vital shot.

Worse case scenario, shooting a dark bear coming straight at you at 30 miles per hour in the vitals with a 45ACP with open sites. He/she covers 25 yards in a little under 2 seconds.

Another possibility is bear repellent. It is basically industrial sized and concentrated pepperspray and supposedly effective out to 25 yds. It blinds and disorients the bear.
    http://www.udap.com/

You didn't say where you were, but mountain lions are a bigger problem around here.

You may find this thread interesting:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-16721.html
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you ever heard of Bear Pepper Spray?? It works. That and a handgun together are your best, portable option
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chris8161
    Have you ever heard of Bear Pepper Spray?? It works. That and a handgun together are your best, portable option

bearwarning.jpg

I pack a Ruger convertible in 357

45 should do the job though
  • bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Odawgp, That is great!!!
  • gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many experts will tell you the gun you need is a 12 gage with the heaviest slug load you can find.
    I've always carried a hi-power magnum revolver to get to vitals if the shot you have is not be the best.

In RSNYDERS scenario, I would be doing good to get two shots off....while leave a scat sample.
    Dumping the whole magazine of 45+P would be possible in that situation, and may do the job just as well.

Regardless of what you carry, the ability to put one on the spot will take a magnum load of cool.....hard to practice for that.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got, Is that from the ready position?

This happened to me once and I choose to jump off a ledge and into a tree that happened to be within jumping distance because I didn't have the time to draw. I was in an area with a lot of young growth and did not have a good field of view.

On the plus side, it probably gave the bear a good laugh.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thinking the 1st thought if you see a bear is to back away. If can't back away shoot near the bear to scare it away with the noise of the gun firing.

If it's on top of you put the gun in it's mouth and keep firing. [;)]