In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Racking the Slide of PPK/S

ladyrider63ladyrider63 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
Has anyone replaced the recoil spring to make Racking the Slide on a Walther PPK/s easier. I have seen recommendations stating to change it to a 15-17lb instead of the 20 lbs that it comes with.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do change out the recoil spring, be sure and test fire it with your carry ammo, to make sure you won't have reliability/functioning problems.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also by reducing the recoil spring, you may be exposing your Walther to excessive wear from the slide battering the frame.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Instead of pulling the slide back, hold the slide stationary, and push with the other hand on the frame. It makes the job much easier.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to everyone for your replys I will keep trying before I do any replacements of the spring. May have to trad it in. I hope not I really like the gun.
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another trick is to cock the hammer before working the slide.
  • Options
    ripley16ripley16 Member Posts: 4,834
    edited November -1
    I replaced my PPK/S recoil spring with one from Numrich.
    http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=2100zPPKS
    They list a long or short spring of unknown force. I purchased spring, part number 722980A, the short one. At less than $6 it is a cheap test. With the hammer pulled back the slide, to me, is not very heavy at all, lighter than many of my other .380 pistols.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Never put a lighter spring in a recoil operated gun. You batter it to death, and cause a good gun to go bad soon.

I actually put stiffer ones in my PP and Makarov.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on Harold's suggestion,i.e. assuming you're right handed, hold the slide firmly with your left hand, grip the frame like you were going to shoot it with your right, and straight arm the frame in a downward and away motion. If it doesn't seem to work for you, have someone familiar with the technique demonstrate and help you with it. I'd be surprised if that didn't do the trick.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I tried several different techniques. Just cant do it, Took it back to the gun shop just a little while ago, i was just so tired of fighting with it and it was defective but the manufacturer stated they all are that hard. So i said goodbuy to it and got full credit for the purchase from the Gun shop. which was great,I tried another PPKS/s still cant rack. So I got a Bersa Thunder 380 plus. I can rack that baby just fine and it has more rounds. Thanks everyone for you suggestions. I try my Bersa out this week sometime.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a good gun shop!
    Repeat business.....
    That'how you get it.