In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1890 Winchester WRF to LR

k7grck7grc Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a model 1890 in WRF, once I run out of ammo, can I change the carrier to a LR?, or do I need to do more to be able to shoot long rifle.
thanks

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first question I have to ask is... why not go buy more 22 W.R.F. ammo? Both Winchester and CCI currently manufacture it.

In answer to your question, swapping just the carrier will not work. Specifically, the 22 W.R.F. chamber in the barrel is larger in diameter than a 22 LR (the W.R.F. and the 22 WMR are dimentionally the same diameter, with the WMR being .10" longer). And NO, you can not shoot 22 WMR in a W.R.F. chambered gun.

So, in order to properly convert a 22 W.R.F. to a 22 LR, you would need to swap the barrel, carrier, and magazine tube. The bolt & firing pin might work OK, but then again they might not.
  • k7grck7grc Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert.
    The rifle is just a shooter, and I was looking for a way around the WRF ammo.
    Looks like it remains a WRF.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    What if had the barrel relined to .22 LR.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat
    What if had the barrel relined to .22 LR.

That would eliminate the swapping the barrel step only.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I might make a suggestion.
    The 1890 Wincester is a collectible rifle. And altering yours from original chambering would certainly cause a drastic decrease in value.
    I was recently in the market for a "project" 1890. I like to buy guns in need of some TLC, and repair/restore them.
    I found that the bottom price for a restorable/original 1890 is about $350.(before shipping/FFL fees).
    But ran across several 1906's that appeared to good candidates for EASY repair for around $200. And some even cheaper that needed more extensive, but do-able repair.
    If you want a Winchester .22LR pump, why not build yourself one out of a junker?
    You won't hurt it's value. You can invest the funds over time so that you don't lay out alot of cash at one time. And it's fun and something you can take pride in accomplishing.