In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt Cadet Value

fosjfosj Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
In the first year of production Colt issued approximately 200 pairs of Colt Cadet pistols (target & standard models) to the Dallas Arms Collectors. What is the value of such a matched pair with matching serial numbers Cadet 006 ? Both pistols are unfired new in box with all paperwork and plastic wrappers.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If none of our folks can help? Run it by Cherries at this link,

http://www.cherrys.com/inventory.htm

Double what they offer you, at least, probably would be fair market value.

Limited edition non cataloged stuff, aren't always the easiest guns to sell. Being that they are last Colt manufactured .22 auto, marked as "Cadets", NIB, and made in very limited quantity would be a plus to collectors though.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    fosj...Colt Cadet's are neat little .22's that are well made and accurate and IMHO one of the best recent pistol's made by Colt. They have been appreciating in value since Colt stopped their production and now are selling on the auction side for anywhere from $250-400 depending of course on condition. So a NIB matched set as you describe should go somewhere near 1k I would think. But moving them might be a problem in these rather tough economic times. I have several of these little beauties and love to take them to the range with my Smith 41's and spend the day going through a block of .22. They are great shooters and actually fit my hand better than my other .22's. I know that if had the opportunity to buy the set that you describe, I would not hesitate! Let me know if you pass! Good shooting!
  • JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    The Cadet is a dressed up High Standard Dura-Matic design. THis design by an High Standard alumnus, Oswald Olds SUnderland, was rejected by Colt in the early 1950's before High Stadnard bought the design form Sunderland. It was a huge seller for High Standard, Sears, and Kroydon. The Duramaitc was in the top three model names in terms of High Stadanrd production. When intorduced , Colt claimed it as a new design but some Dura-Matic parts will interchange.

The Cadet was a neat, inexpensive .22 pistol.
  • b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    more historical information that may or may not be of interest. colt drop the "CADET" name very early in production because at the time the "Cadet" name was still owned by iver johnson. the iver johnson Model 55SA CADET revolver had been out of production since 1978 but Colt chose not to press the issue of name ownership.
    bill
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one of those Colt .22's but didn't keep it long. I could shoot about 50 rounds through it and the barrel would lead up so bad you could not see the rileling. I could put the same ammo in a High Standard Sport King and a S&W 522 and both of those worked fine.

I got it narrowed down to somewhere between forty and fifty shots it would start to key hole at 25 yards. That is when I noticed that there did not seem to be any rifling in the barrel. I could not even get a cleaning rod with a bore brush through the barrel without giving it a good whack with a mallet. Sent it to a Colt repair station and they gave it back saying, "NO PROBLEM".

Sold it shortly there after.

I also did not like where the mag release was located. I tried to carry the pistol in a shoulder rig while fishing and hiking in the woods but if you were not careful you would release the magazine and I almost lost it twice.

Bode
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Winston Bode

I had one of those Colt .22's but didn't keep it long. I could shoot about 50 rounds through it and the barrel would lead up so bad you could not see the rileling. I could put the same ammo in a High Standard Sport King and a S&W 522 and both of those worked fine.

I got it narrowed down to somewhere between forty and fifty shots it would start to key hole at 25 yards. That is when I noticed that there did not seem to be any rifling in the barrel. I could not even get a cleaning rod with a bore brush through the barrel without giving it a good whack with a mallet. Sent it to a Colt repair station and they gave it back saying, "NO PROBLEM".

Sold it shortly there after.

I also did not like where the mag release was located. I tried to carry the pistol in a shoulder rig while fishing and hiking in the woods but if you were not careful you would release the magazine and I almost lost it twice.

Bode

I do a lot of .22 shooting. Had the same barrel fouling problem with a number of different .22 handguns. Found out that it was more ammo related then anything else. Some of the super high speed 22 loadings are just to high velocity without a true jacketed bullet. The absolute worse as far as this factor is concerned, is the Mexican Aguila Super Maximum crap. I shot it in a Ruger SP 101 that you couldn't get 50 rounds through it without the barrel going south, and you having to scrub it out with a bore brush. This also has happened to me with other guns and ammo. A 22 Bersa with Stingers also gave me similar problems.