In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

rossi .357???

andy12390andy12390 Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
edited September 2005 in Ask the Experts
anyone have the rossi 357 with the 6 inch barrel? how reliable and accurate are they? they have a nice price, but lower price sometimes means lower quality. thanks

NEF 20 ga.
western field 12, double
marlin 70pss 22lr
mauser 98 7X57
mauser 98 .243

Comments

• rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Rossi isn't bad. It's not fabulous but it's not bad. It's good bang for the buck just don't expect a performance center S&W.

Why do you want to go with a Rossi?
  • allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did not have the .357 but a .22 mag and .22 rifles. The were certainly better than a lot of the lower priced guns, but a lot of burrs and rough metal work inside the frame, ect. The Taurus line (who I believe now owns Rossi) is a much higher quality gun and a better buy.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife's stepdad has one. He seems to like it. I've never shot it though.

Better to carry a pistol and not need it than need a pistol and not have it.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andy12390
    anyone have the rossi 357 with the 6 inch barrel? how reliable and accurate are they? they have a nice price, but lower price sometimes means lower quality. thanks

Sometimes you can find bargains in used guns as people need to get rid of them in a hurry, don't want to go through the hassle of advertisng or auctioning them, or don't know what they have.

But with new guns you generally get what you pay for.

Rossi guns are cheaper for a reason, and simply put, its because they aren't quite as good as some of the more well-known brands. It may not always be because individual guns are bad, just that quality control is sometimes bad. . .ie every so often you can stuck with a clunker. They also don't tend to have as much resale value.

Personally, for an extra $100, I'd go with a Smith and Wesson. If it was a toss up between a new Rossi and a used Smith, I'd always take the Smith.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While not directly responsive, let me tell you about my buddy who asked my help in buying a .38 snubby.

While I tried to steer him to a S&W or Colt, he insisted on buying a Charter, as it was cheaper. He questioned how a gun that looked the same as the Charter could be worth $100 more; I explained that Colt & S&W are better quality, & the extra money pays for that quality. The first time we took his Charter to the range, he said it wouldn't fire. Actually, it DID fire when I tried it; it's just that the trigger pull was probably 20-30 lbs. He asked if the S&W or Colt has a better trigger pull; when I said "Yes", he said, "Why didn't you tell me that?" Sigh.

"You get what you pay for, sometimes less."

Neal
  • MainiacMainiac Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Rossi Model 720 5-shot 44 Special. While it's certainly not finished as well as any of my several Smith & Wessons, it is adequate in all respects. It is sort of a cross between a S&W K-frame, and a S&W J-frame in that it has some features of each. It was pretty rough as it came out of the box, but a bit of clean up with a fine Arkansas stone, and a set of Wolff reduced power springs (it uses the same springs as a S&W J-frame), has made it the equal to my S&W Model 15 in action-smoothness. As far as accuracy goes, it is easily minute of bad guy all the way out to 50-yds. The Rossi 720 is a small 44 Special that is heavy enough to be a comfortable shooter even with fairly hot loads, and small enough for CCW in a IWB holster. The Charter Arms .44 Bulldog is too light IMHP. I would expect a Rossi .357 Magnum to be much the same as the .44 Special, as they both share the same frame. I think for the money, they are a great value.

Xzec.
  • RogomayRogomay Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    #1 Colt Python - Expensive but great

#2 S&W 686 without internal lock
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I just sold a Rossi Model 971 to a buddy for $300. It had target rear sights and I had smoothed up the action. It had no scratches and the blue was very deep and highly polished.
    This gun had been with me on many hunting trips as a coup-de-grace gun, and I really hated to see it go.
    It shot as well as my Security Six, but it had a full underlug for additional weight up front.
    There's nothing wrong with the Rossi line, but there are people out there who will tell you to waste your hard-earned money on something that's more than you can afford.
    I only own one S&W; a 2206 in 22lr with a 12rd. magazine that is made from strips of sheet metal pinned together-whatta pos!
    Since S&W sold out the American gun owning public a few years back; I can't see myself buying another...unless it's a PPK/s.

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID