In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Browning BLR Magazine ???

SuperMagSuperMag Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited August 2005 in Ask the Experts
Has anyone ever tried to put the old style magazine in the '81 guns? Does it work? The reason I ask is...

I've got a .358 Winchester BLR made in 1977 that doesn't have the right magazine, and the old magazines are virtually impossible to find for the .358. Sooo... I was wondering if the old magazines fit in the new guns, and if so, it stands to reason that the new magazines would fit in the old guns, provided you milled the appropriate recess in the receiver.

Thoughts?

icon18.gif "Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability is in the opponent." -Sun Tzu

Comments

• SuperMagSuperMag Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll think about it...

There were two magazines for the old .358: One was the common one-size-fits-all (like in your link) that was stamped 243/308/358, and really didn't work worth a damn in the .358. The other was specifically marked for the .358 only.

The difference in the two was in the way the magazine lips were formed on the dedicated .358 mags to deal with the .358's larger neck... BTDT.

Hence my desire to dispense with the old style mag altogether...

icon18.gif "Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability is in the opponent." -Sun Tzu