In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sako L691 .340 Wby Mag Info Needed

MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
edited September 2005 in Ask the Experts
Guys I have one of these in 90-95% condition. Serial # 854535 . Has the Sako Mounts . Ca someone tell me how old she is and how much its worth ?

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your best bet is to get into this club of Sako folks and ask around. They are extremely nice and very knowledgeable. It's free.

http://groups.msn.com/SakoCollectorsClub/_homepage.msnw?pgmarket=en-us
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cant get an answer there either. Somebody here must certainly know something about this particular model ...
    edited November -1
  • JudgeRoyBeanJudgeRoyBean Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From that serial number, I think you are looking at mid 60's, possibly 1965 to 1967...... or close there.

NOPE, I'M WRONG! Whoops, I miss counted the number of serial number digits....NOT "Pre-Garcia!" MUCH LATER GUN! PHOOEY, I don't know on any with serial numbers over 100,000.....Sorry!!!

Value wise, you need to look in the Blue Book at what a gun like yours is worth. Which Model, etc.???? Tben consider your Regional differences, etc. Might want to search GB for those that have sold in the past and for how much..... Nice Gun!

Henry Ford stated: "There is no one more useless than a Convict, except perhaps, those that guard him." This was his reason NOT to hire either one!
    edited November -1
    The L 691 Model is not listed in the blue book .
  • Dave GDave G Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your 691 was made in early nineties, with the 691,591 and 491 actions appearing after the AV series.

Sako came out with the 91' series because the AV series got to expensive to make. The 91' series was much easier to machine due to the straight side walls and bolt on recoil lug. The 91 series also had a tikka trigger assembly, not the Sako #4. The AV's are thus are more desireable.

All the above may sound negative, but the 91' series still shot as well as any Sako before it. Assuming a walnut stock a reasonable price is around $500-600. Like anything else 4sale, much depends on the persons involved.

Dave G
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have held back on replying to see what would come up from the sako guys. I purchased an L691 action a few years back that was NIB "in the white". The deal was super cheap from my FFL pard. I installed a PacNor #5 select match in 6.5-06AI and bedded it in an HS Precision stock. This rifle has gone 1/3moa at 200yds thus far. the gunsmith said that the action was close to perfectly ture right from the box,..and based on it's performance, I tend to beleive him.

I purchased 2 more of the actions for the future[:D] These were the actions produced for Magnum Research for their mountain eagle series of rifles. They also have a rem700 contour top to use any rem mount[8] Also,..the HS Precision stock bedding block is inlett for the front screw without the detachable recoil lug,..and IMHO has made this set-up a GREAT rig.

Your action is no doubt very smooth, and very straight. I would think it would bring almost equal value as the other sako models.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Dave GDave G Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    JustC- so where does the action actually bed against, the screw in the action and bedding block?

Sako also made actions for Magnum Research in the 491 or short action (.223,.222) configuration. To my knowledge, these have been long gone.

I would miss that outstanding Sako hunter style stock. I believe that distributor still has some of those 691's for $350. About what you paid?

Dave G
    edited November -1
    The bedding block was actually inlet to NOT use the recoil lug. there was no provision for it whatsoever. I beleive it was sort of a mauser design where it held the front post which was tapped for the front action screw to run inside. It has been several years since I looked at it,..and have not had the others out of their boxes for a while. I would have to take them out and give them a look to verify the specifics. I know that the gunsmith was very impressed with the fit of the action to the HS Precision stock,..we actually had to tap it lightly with the rubber mallet to set it down tight against the bedding block. The trigger is simple and 2lbs is very easy to obtain.

I think the actions were somewhere in that area but last I heard they had dried up. jerry's sports had them for a while.

Got Balistics?
    edited November -1
    Dave,..I just pulled an action from the safe. The action has the semi-pillar in the bottom of the action front like a mauser,..and as well as the recoil lug,..a pre-cut pillar (still needs fitting) is included with the action. All I can figure is the bedding block in the HS stock either has the machined recess for that, or my smith "adjusted" the stock and installed that pillar. The recoil lug that is included is somewhat insignificant anyway. The bearing surface is small compared to the rem700 or win70. I think that the HS stock is the answer for these actions.

either way,..MFI I would say you have an easy $700 rifle with no mounts and scope.

Got Balistics?