In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Serial number DOM reference sources

Comments

• burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    The Browning link is dead....... and the shotgun world link doesn't have any info on BPS's? Anyone got a good link?

b
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burdz19
    The Browning link is dead....... and the shotgun world link doesn't have any info on BPS's? Anyone got a good link?

b

Please try the new link that I posted or click on this link - http://www.browning.com/customerservice/dategun/detail.asp?id=25
  • magicmanml2magicmanml2 Member Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any Dan Wesson links for serial numbers
  • pinkmistpinkmist Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea Dan Wesson! 44 mag revolver dates and production #'s
    Here's one for you: ERMA baby lugers [:o)] Good luck [:D]
  • JasonWVBJasonWVB Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, I want to research a Winchester Model 1894, but they want $150 membership fee plus another $60 per rifle. Is there anyone that will do this service for less than that? I really do not want to spend $210 to get the history of one rifle.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JasonWVB
    Hello, I want to research a Winchester Model 1894, but they want $150 membership fee plus another $60 per rifle. Is there anyone that will do this service for less than that? I really do not want to spend $210 to get the history of one rifle.

Hello Jason,

It is not necessary to become a member (the $150 fee) to purchase a Factory letter... you only need to spend the $60 for the letter. It is not possible for somebody else to do the service... only the Cody Firearms Museum (CFM) has the original factory ledgers. In order to get a factory letter from the CFM for your Model 1894, the serial number must be <354,000. If the serial number is >353,999, I can provide some of the information that you are seeking.

Use the link after my signature line name to contact the CFM.
  • JasonWVBJasonWVB Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information. I just read through it again (carefully). I was mistaken. Thanks again.
  • Astro MikeAstro Mike Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Bert, quick question. Can you tell me a manufacture date of a Winchester Model 70 XTR Featherweight in .243? The serial number is G15414XX.

Thanks,
    Ty
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Astro Mike
    Hello Bert, quick question. Can you tell me a manufacture date of a Winchester Model 70 XTR Featherweight in .243? The serial number is G15414XX.

Thanks,
    Ty

Hello Ty,

What you have is a U.S. Repeating Arms Co. made Model 70. Use the information below to contact them.

U.S. Repeating Arms Co. (the maker of Winchester trademarked firearms since 1981) - http://www.winchesterguns.com/services/index.asp
    Product Information: If your question hasn't been answered in the Frequently Asked Questions and it is a question about manuals, catalogs, & products please call our Consumer Department directly at: 800.333.3288 or 801.876.2711 & for Parts & Service call: 800.322.4626
  • Astro MikeAstro Mike Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much. [^]
  • tkorstkors Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am looking at a Sig P226 police trade in and factory certified by SIG. The factory in NH would not give any info. The serial # is U685xxx. New in stote are in the very low U813xxx range. Does anyone have knowledge as to a approx production date to see how old this weapon is ?
  • fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • ned pepperned pepper Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for this post. Have some S&W'S Victory's and pre-10's some of the numbers are driving me nuts, going to call S&W
    Appreciate it.

N. P.
  • sonofasonofashootersonofasonofashooter Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a pretty basic question related to serial numbers. I recently purchased a Browning Sweet 16 advertised to be "100% authentic". Upon further investigation I found that the serial # on the barrel and the serial # on the receiver do not match. Can I assume that the barrel was a replacement? I purchased this gun with the presumption that it was the same gun that shipped from the factory in 1955. It now appears that the gun has been modified. Can anyone confirm that the serial #'s should match? Thanks.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sonofasonofashooter
    I have a pretty basic question related to serial numbers. I recently purchased a Browning Sweet 16 advertised to be "100% authentic". Upon further investigation I found that the serial # on the barrel and the serial # on the receiver do not match. Can I assume that the barrel was a replacement? I purchased this gun with the presumption that it was the same gun that shipped from the factory in 1955. It now appears that the gun has been modified. Can anyone confirm that the serial #'s should match? Thanks.

For the Belgian built Browning A5s, it is normal for the barrel serial number to not match the receiver serial number. My 1962 vintage Light Twenty is 100% factory original (my mom bought it brand new for my dad Christmas 1962), and the serial number on the barrel does not match the receiver serial number. There may have been some point in time where the numbers should match, but for the Belgian built A5s in the 50's and 60's, they do not.
  • bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Mr. Bert, helped again![;)]
  • rjlounrjloun Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently bought 2 cz550 varmints used, one 22-250 and one 308. On the receivers and barrels they are stamped... The 22-250 has an "08" and the 308 has an "02" is this the year they were made? 2008 and 2002 respectively?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rjloun
    I recently bought 2 cz550 varmints used, one 22-250 and one 308. On the receivers and barrels they are stamped... The 22-250 has an "08" and the 308 has an "02" is this the year they were made? 2008 and 2002 respectively?

I have no idea, but why not try contacting CZ directly and asking them?
    edited November -1
    Will do. Thought you may know. Thanks!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rjloun
    Will do. Thought you may know. Thanks!

My forte is Winchester firearms... almost everything else is just a side thought.
    edited November -1
    Just realized that as I was reading the sticky on Winchester 94s, George Madis
    edited November -1
    FYI from CZ's FAQ Page
    "Q: "What year was my firearm made?"
    A: Each CZ firearm has the year of manf. stamped on the firearm itself. Pistol marks are located in a small oval behind the extractor/ejection port. It will be a 2 digit code indicating the year it was manfactured. Rifles generally have the manf date stamp on the right side of the action, slightly behind where the barrel threads into the receiver. The rifle mark is a proofstamp along with the 2 digit code."
  • nelsomelnelsomel Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can we go back to DAN WESSON? I was told at one point the Govt. siezed the records and won't release them? Is there a place for DAN WESSON????
    Thanks for all this info! I'm new at this, how will all this be kept for future reference?
    Benjie
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nelsomel
    Can we go back to DAN WESSON? I was told at one point the Govt. siezed the records and won't release them? Is there a place for DAN WESSON????
    Thanks for all this info! I'm new at this, how will all this be kept for future reference?
    Benjie

As was previously mentioned, very little information exists for the Dan Wesson firearms, and it is very unlikely to ever be available. Please read the information at this link - http://www.danwessonforum.com/?page_id=42

The information posted on this website is contained within a Sticky Post so that it will always be readily available. If you so desire, you can always cut & paste all of the information in the first message into a MS Word document which you can save on your PC.
  • gdoggdog Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anything for Rock River Arms?
  • dct9000dct9000 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 6inch Python I bought when I was a US Army Captain at a gun show in 1988. Serial Number is AL5xxx, any idea as to how I can find out date of Manufacture without having to pay Colt $75?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dct9000
    I have a 6inch Python I bought when I was a US Army Captain at a gun show in 1988. Serial Number is AL5xxx, any idea as to how I can find out date of Manufacture without having to pay Colt $75?

You unfortunately have no other choice... Colt intentionally locked up all of their manufacture and historical records so that they specifically are the sole source of information, and so that they can profit (grossly) from it as well[V].
  • GunBuffGunBuff Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info. Burt,your saving people a lot of searching.
    [8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GunBuff
    Thanks for all the info. Burt,your saving people a lot of searching.
    [8D]

You are quite welcome[:)]... and I purposely started this post many years ago with the sole intent to help everyone who is looking for information about their firearms.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dct9000
    I have a 6inch Python I bought when I was a US Army Captain at a gun show in 1988. Serial Number is AL5xxx, any idea as to how I can find out date of Manufacture without having to pay Colt $75?Your Colt Python was manufactured in 1980.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• mydetectivesmydetectives Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am new here, well thanks for the information here.[:I]
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington used a barrel code on their rifles and shotguns. It is iffy for shotguns, due to frequent barrel changes, but rifles tended to keep original barrels. Key to the letters: http://www.remingtonsociety.com/questions/BLACKPOWDERX.htm
    edited November -1
    Early Mossberg shotguns and .22 rifles usually did not have serial numbers, but this has been a good site for date ranges of models, as well as type of sights, etc. http://home.epix.net/~damguy/index.html
    edited November -1
  • slicksbeagles1slicksbeagles1 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    BertH talked to a winchester tech today and ask how to determine the age of a x2 with having to call them each time you could go to brownings website and go to date my firearm and use there information
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slicksbeagles1
    BertH talked to a winchester tech today and ask how to determine the age of a x2 with having to call them each time you could go to brownings website and go to date my firearm and use there information

Thanks... hopefully other interested people will read your post.
  • pixallpixall Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How can I tell the date of manufacture of a steyr aug/sa? I have one in my store and the man says it is a pre ban but I want to know for sure.
  • natalisgrampsnatalisgramps Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,Do you know if a chinese barrel will fit a yugo sks receiver? Thanx[:)]
  • MSgt3227MSgt3227 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you tell me date of manufacture for a Winchester shotgun Model 1400 Mk II Serial #N711945? Thank you!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MSgt3227
    Can you tell me date of manufacture for a Winchester shotgun Model 1400 Mk II Serial #N711945? Thank you!

No, I can not, but you might try this...

U.S. Repeating Arms Co. (the maker of Winchester trademarked firearms January 1981 - March 2006) - http://www.winchesterguns.com/customerservice/index.asp

You can also call the Customer Service number at (800) 945-5237 or (801) 876-3440. If you need help with Parts and or Service, call (800) 322-4626.
This discussion has been closed.