In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Serial number DOM reference sources

13»

Comments

• MSgt3227MSgt3227 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, I can not, but you might try this...

U.S. Repeating Arms Co. (the maker of Winchester trademarked firearms January 1981 - March 2006) - http://www.winchesterguns.com/customerservice/index.asp

You can also call the Customer Service number at (800) 945-5237 or (801) 876-3440. If you need help with Parts and or Service, call (800) 322-4626.
    [/quote]

Thank you Bert!
  • MSgt3227MSgt3227 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I talked to Winchester Customer Service - the best they can tell me is my version (the Mk II) was made sometime between 1968 and 1974. I'm guessing closer to '74 based on the serial #, but they don't even know what the last production serial # was for the 1400 series...
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MSgt3227
    I talked to Winchester Customer Service - the best they can tell me is my version (the Mk II) was made sometime between 1968 and 1974. I'm guessing closer to '74 based on the serial #, but they don't even know what the last production serial # was for the 1400 series...

If they do not know the answer, then it will not be possible to find the answer.
  • hds559hds559 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello guys and gals,
    I just bought a S&W 1 1/2 seems to be in good condition, with a little wear. I was trying to do some research on it, but can't find any where online to to look up manufacture date any thing. The serial is 86xxx, is there anybody that can help, or point me in the right direction?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hds559
    Hello guys and gals,
    I just bought a S&W 1 1/2 seems to be in good condition, with a little wear. I was trying to do some research on it, but can't find any where online to to look up manufacture date any thing. The serial is 86xxx, is there anybody that can help, or point me in the right direction?

Post this exact question in the Ask The Experts forum as a separate question... there are several fellows who can help.
  • franknmichafranknmicha Member Posts: 2
    edited November -1
    Hey Bert, Maybe you can help me out. I bought a 30-30 Winchester Model 94. It has no serial number on it anywhere. It does not appear to be removed, it just appears to be missing. I have talked to Rob at Winchester Rare Firearms Museum and he seems to think its from the time frame of early 900,000s serial numbers but could not say for sure, and could not explain why no serial number. I talked to Daniel at BBHC after reading info on this post he is researching it but is puzzeled by the no serial number. Do you have any in site.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by franknmicha
    Hey Bert, Maybe you can help me out. I bought a 30-30 Winchester Model 94. It has no serial number on it anywhere. It does not appear to be removed, it just appears to be missing. I have talked to Rob at Winchester Rare Firearms Museum and he seems to think its from the time frame of early 900,000s serial numbers but could not say for sure, and could not explain why no serial number. I talked to Daniel at BBHC after reading info on this post he is researching it but is puzzeled by the no serial number. Do you have any in site.

If you can provide me several pictures of it, I can identify the time period in which it was manufacturted, but without a serial number, it may not be possible to pin down a precise date.

In regards to the lack of a serial number, I can tell you that Winchester would not have knowingly allowed it to leave the factory (warehouse) without it being numbered.
  • franknmichafranknmicha Member Posts: 2
    edited November -1
    Bert I cant figure out how to post a picture on here
    edited November -1
    Bert I cant figure out how to post a picture on here

This explains how to post pictures on the Gunbroker forums - http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

You can also send pictures to me via email - Win1885@msn.com
    edited November -1
    Here are some pics of my no serial number 30-30.....Thanks for the help.

The serial number has been intentionally removed (making it an illegal gun to own or sell). I can see clear signs that the receiver frame is undersized where the serial number should be.

The caliber and address marking on the barrrel place the date of manufacture sometime between April of 1932 to early 1950. If you remove the magazine tube and forend stock, you will find a 2-digit year number stamped on the bottom of the barrel right next to where the barrel enteres the receiver frame.
  • jackbno1jackbno1 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have anything on Stevens Arms Crack Shot
    Thanks
    Jackbno1
  • fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nibla3
    Does anyone have a link for Sako serial number history? I'm specifically looking for AIII's

here ya go

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/datatables/SakoOldmodelsNumbering.pdf

ALSO

anyone got a link for a winchester model 190 serial # list
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Savage link is defunct, and it appears Savage no longer has serialization information on their site. Also GeoCites is gone and it appears the late Bill Goforth's site is also gone.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    The Savage link is defunct, and it appears Savage no longer has serialization information on their site. Also GeoCites is gone and it appears the late Bill Goforth's site is also gone.

Thanks... I updated both of those listings.
  • RRHArmsRRHArms Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many good lists for dates on Dave Weber's site.

http://doublegunshop.com/dgsnos.htm
  • bigbigtexbigbigtex Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't seen this listed here, so I'll be glad to contribute.

Beretta (click link to see table/chart)
    http://berettausa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/101

Beretta firearms produced in Italy carry a proof mark for the year of production. The chart below is used to identify the year by this mark. For recent pistols this mark is usually located on the frame near the trigger guard, for older pistols, the mark is on the slide or on the frame behind the grip area. Shotguns have this mark stamped on the barrel near the chamber. You may need to remove the barrel to read the mark.

On some older firearms, produced between 1925 to1954, the actual date was stamped instead of a code mark. In this case the date can be located near the test proof marks on the frame. The exception to this occured during the regime of Benito Mussolini. The Italian Proof House used a roman numeral system marking the year of his reign which began with "I" in 1922. The first Beretta firearm using this dating system was the Model 1934 pistol (introduced in 1935), thus the year was indicated as XIII (usually marked on the slide) and refering to the 13th year of Mussolini's regime. This practice ended in 1945 with XXIII at the close of World War Two and the chart below takes up from that point. It should be noted that some wartime production firearms were void of any marking to indicate the production date.

We have also seen markings where roman and numerical figures are combined, for example XX7 for 1971, XX8 for 1972 and XX9 for 1973
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigbigtex
    I haven't seen this listed here, so I'll be glad to contribute.

Beretta (click link to see table/chart)

Beretta firearms produced in Italy carry a proof mark for the year of production. The chart below is used to identify the year by this mark. For recent pistols this mark is usually located on the frame near the trigger guard, for older pistols, the mark is on the slide or on the frame behind the grip area. Shotguns have this mark stamped on the barrel near the chamber. You may need to remove the barrel to read the mark.

On some older firearms, produced between 1925 to1954, the actual date was stamped instead of a code mark. In this case the date can be located near the test proof marks on the frame. The exception to this occured during the regime of Benito Mussolini. The Italian Proof House used a roman numeral system marking the year of his reign which began with "I" in 1922. The first Beretta firearm using this dating system was the Model 1934 pistol (introduced in 1935), thus the year was indicated as XIII (usually marked on the slide) and refering to the 13th year of Mussolini's regime. This practice ended in 1945 with XXIII at the close of World War Two and the chart below takes up from that point. It should be noted that some wartime production firearms were void of any marking to indicate the production date.

We have also seen markings where roman and numerical figures are combined, for example XX7 for 1971, XX8 for 1972 and XX9 for 1973

Thanks... I added it to the list on the first page of this topic.[:)]
    edited November -1
    I just called Colt and received two DOM's over the phone for no charge by calling 800-962-2658.

Previous posts indicated that Colt charges $25 for this info over the phone, but this no longer seems to be the case.
    edited November -1
    Note: The Marlin reference in the Original post needs to be updated to: (there is apparently a fee for them to look it up)

http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Also, a gentleman has posted a Google Doc with barrel stamp references for Marlin here:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4ZkxtjE_AyLYjQ2ODc2MjUtZTJkNC00NzNiLTgwZjQtMjg0ZmM5ZTU5OGY3/edit?authkey=CJKO9oMM&pli=1&hl=en

Hope this is useful.
    edited November -1
    Hi Bert, went looking for a date for a US Repeating Arms 9410, and discovered the listed Winchester link is defunct and that there are no "Winchester" models listed in the Browning 'Date my gun' pages.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Hi Bert, went looking for a date for a US Repeating Arms 9410, and discovered the listed Winchester link is defunct and that there are no "Winchester" models listed in the Browning 'Date my gun' pages.

Forgot I posted this, and looked again. The site is still gone, gone, gone.
  • King bearKing bear Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert I posted a couple of days ago on model 70 22 hornet sn 191XX. When I took the stock off the barrel is marked 37. Old gunsmith told me to look and said that is when the barrel was made. The Winchester pocket book said the rifle was made in 1939. Was it common for Winchester to do this? Or am I miss informed? Also have 94 55 and 64 info I will post for you when I can for your survey.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by King bear
    Bert I posted a couple of days ago on model 70 22 hornet sn 191XX. When I took the stock off the barrel is marked 37. Old gunsmith told me to look and said that is when the barrel was made. The Winchester pocket book said the rifle was made in 1939. Was it common for Winchester to do this? Or am I miss informed? Also have 94 55 and 64 info I will post for you when I can for your survey.

The Winchester pocket book you have (written by George Madis) is not accurate. Winchester Model 70 serial number 19100 - 19199 were all manufactured in May, 1938. The "37" marked barrel on a 1938 manufacture receiver is perfectly normal for the lesser common cartridges.

I will look forward to the information for your Model 55, 64, & 94 rifles.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This seems to be a more up to date link for the Ruger stuff as compared to the link on the sticky..

https://ruger.com/service/productHistory.html

I tried the sticky link and couldn't get anywhere..
  • SteelD6SteelD6 Member Posts: 1
    Here is Serial Look Up Info For The Argentine Model 1927:
    Does anyone know the average worth of these firearms depending upon condition? I just won an auction for a 1947 production firearm that has matching serials on frame, slide, and barrel.

Numbers Produced at FMAP Rosario and Serial Numbers, 1945-1966
    1945 - 6,000 - #24,001 - #30,000
    1946 - 7,628 - #30,001 - #37,628
    1947 - 5,000 - #37,629 - #42,628
    1948 - 7,000 - #42,629 - #49,628
    1949 - 5,000 - #49,629 - #54,628
    1950 - 8,000 - #54,629 - #62,628
    1951 - 8,011 - #62,629 - #70,639
    1952 - 7,016 - #70,640 - #77,655
    1953 - 2,500 - #77,656 - #80,155
    1954 - 5,000 - #80,156 - #85,155
    1955 - 2,500 - #85,156 - #87,655
    1956 - 2,500 - #87,656 - #90,155
    1957 - 5,626 - #90,156 - #95,781
    1958 - 5,547 - #95,782 - #101,328
    1959 - 5,000 - #101,329 - #106,328
    1960 - 2,066 - #106,329 - #108,394
    1961 - 1,000 - #108,395 - #109,394
    1962 - 0
    1963 - 600 - #109395 - #109,994
    1964 - 750 - #109,995 - #110,744
    1965 - 1,250 - #110,745 - #111,994
    1966 - 500 - #111,995 - #112,494

• AZgunner2AsupporterAZgunner2Asupporter Member Posts: 1

hi i need help finding DOM for Marlin 80DL, serial number unknown, and if its C&R eligible. i search engined but no results on this firearm, thanks

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

From the Marlin Forum:

"Marlin made the Model 80DL beginning in 1941 ending in 1964."

Blue Book vol 40 page 1304 gives production dates from 1940-1965 for the model 80DL. So according to these sources, yes C&R ok.

• ctgodogctgodog Member Posts: 2

Hi everyone, Been awhile since I have made contact on the forum. I have a question about sweet sixteens. I have read all the information I could find on serial # dates, and as near as I can figure I have what you refer to as a "stealth sweet sixteen". The serial # on mine is A11005. As far as I can tell the "A" denotes sweet sixteen manufactured in 1957-1958. No "sweet sixteen" engraved on the receiver, because the top of the receiver has been parkerized, and no gold trigger. the butt stock is however hollowed out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Clint.

• ctgodogctgodog Member Posts: 2

A Browning sixteen gauge serial #A11005..."Sweet Sixteen" manufactured in 1957-1958? No gold trigger, butt stock is hollowed out. No engraving "sweet sixteen", because the top of the receiver has been parkerized.

I have regrettably not updated this Topic post in a very long time, but will make a minor attempt at it now.

For all "Pre-1964" Winchester models, use this link to determine the year of manufacture. It is not 100% accurate, but was for the most part derived from the original Winchester records at the Cody Firearms Museum records office. I put this together several years ago for use by all WACA members (and the general public).

Dates | Winchester Collector

Bert H.

This discussion has been closed.