In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Manhurin PPK s

binderbinder Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
edited May 2002 in Ask the Experts
Anyone with a rough idea of value of a NIB Manhurin PPK s 22 caliber new in box? Also where and how produced, and any relation to Walther?

Comments

• martzkj@msn.commartzkj@msn.com Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure of the value, however I have one in 32 acp. the story I got is they were made in France under licensing by Walther after they were forced to stop production in Germany after WWII. They were produced under Walther's licensing until the late 60's or early 70's. If I have the wrong story I'm sure we will hear different.
  • Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, you're pretty close to right. At the end of WW II the French stripped the machinery out of the Walther plant, so they had no immediate ability to manufacture guns. Further, during the first decade after the war Germany was a conquered and occupied country under Allied Military rule, and was forbidden to manufacture firearms. Nevertheless, rearmament was needed for the German police and border guards and the firm of Manurhin (Manufacture De Machines Du Haut-Rhin), Mulhouse, France, was happy to oblige. When the three western occupied zones (USA, British, and French) became the German Federal Republic, and a soverign country, they formed an army (Bundeswehr)and decided to retain the P-38 of WW II fame; but with an alloy frame instead of steel. This was also initially manufactured by Manurhin as the Pistolet P1 until the Walther plant came back on line. The Manurhin P1s were sold as surplus in the '80s, and now the Walther-made P1s are being imported. The Manurhin PPs and PPKs, also sold to the German police, were directly imported into the US for commercial sales by Manurhin 1984-86. Manurhin is still in business, and their handguns are of high quality.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One more item. In Europe, guns can be marked manufactured in the country where they are finished. Many guns were made by Manhurin, then shipped to Germany where they were blued and marked.

Many German marked Walthers were actually manufactured in France.
  • NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great Gun!!!

I bought a new Manurhin PPK/S (blue steel) in 1986 for $285. It shoots straight and great, has NEVER jammed and I have fired just about every.380 round available, and I wouldn't part with it. I recently bought my wife a brand new Walther PPK/S in stainless. Yeah, I will concede it is still new (100 rounds fired through it) but the Manurhin had a smoother action and trigger out of the box, the Walther shoots a little low to the left, and I used to qualify with the .380 on a police 25 yard range/course.

For Der Gebirgsjager:

I was told at gun shows the same story. France carted off Walther machines, tools, dies, plans, and even technicians and manufactured this pistol in France and that this is the same as a Walther. But, except for an occaisonal used one, I have seen no new ones (mine was imported by Interarms and came with a target showing how it fired).

Are these available and who would we go through to get one?

Thanks!
  • binderbinder Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks alot basically these are the stories I got and I intend to shoot it one day, but for now it will stay in the box with the rest of my toys.
    I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting a bunch of WWHHOOIIEE.
    Back in the 80's I had a Walther PP- 22caliber and let it get away, I won't do it again.
  • martzkj@msn.commartzkj@msn.com Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Binder check out this web site.WWW.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters2188/ Some good info on walthers. Read the section Post-war production 1946-1956, they talk a little about the Manhurin production.
  • Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NOTPARS--The Story, Sir, is factual. As for purchasing new Manurhin pistols, I quote the following from the "Blue Book Of Gun Values":
    "Currently manufactured by Chapuis Armes beginning in 1998, and located in Saint Bonnet Le Chateau, France. During 1998, Chapuis Armes purchased Manurhin, and new revolvers are currently being manufactured in a new facility located in Saint Bonnet Le Chateau, France, utilizing the origin production machinery. .....Currently available by either contacting the factory directly, or on a special order only basis by ABO Industries located in San Diego, CA"

Athough this mentions revolvers, indications are that the PP, PPK, PPK/S autos are still in production. Sorry--I do not have an address for ABO Industries, but they shouldn't be hard to track down.
  • NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For Der Gebirgsjager:

Hey thanks for the info. I was pretty certain that story was correct but I like to check the facts first. And I appreciate the info on current production. I am going to download this page, print it, and check into the company out in California. I don't know about anyone else, but mine has been a real gem!
  • KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And sometime or other Manurhin also found time to produce assembly machines for 20mm, 25mm and 30mm cartridges - for those of you interested in that sort of thing.