In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

springfield M1A

erictheredericthered Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
edited May 2002 in Ask the Experts
are these rifles really worth the price? someone mentioned a problem with extracting cases earlier, i have seen this problem on another M1A, but it would easily extract, you just had to do it manually, the rifle was essentially brand new. on anther M1A i saw recently, it looked like the rounds were being fed too "high' they would run into the top of the receiver and hold the bolt open, i think it was factory 175gr or something like that. do these rifles just require alot of fine tuning? or are they very sensitive to ammo? or.....are they just junk?.... i dont think i have any use for a rifle that is that sensitive.

Comments

• erictheredericthered Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    anyone have any thoughts of the M1A supermatch as a long range precision rifle? what about the caliber? 7.62x51. what about a scope?, should i go with the fixed 10x like the USMC M40A3 uses? or something else?
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know of a manufacturer of a reduced pull trigger for the M1A or a gunshop that can do it?
    edited November -1
    I just tested my new/used Springfield M1A with Redfield scope, and am really dissapointed. The rifle LOOKS beautiful. Like a very professional job in making it.

Even with a fairly wide variety of test loads and even some combined technologies Nosler bullets, the very best group I could get was about 1 1/4 inch at 100 yds.

I have a --norinco--el cheapo M1A with match barrel that performs exactly the same. Is this really the best an M1A will do without going to the supermatch?

My old M1 Garand gets 1" open sights.

My rock river AR 15 gets 1/2". I wish they'd start making
    M1A's.

This Springfield is a letdown. Especially at the price
    I paid. 1200.00

Thinking to sell.
    Eric

thats'me
    edited November -1
    Hey guys, this is Springfields modern version of the Garand right? Why is it chambered in 308 vs 30/06? I really like this/these rifles and was wondering if I were to buy the springfield could it be re chambered to 30/06? I've looked but I don't see the springfield listed or as available in 30/06 anywhere. I WILL own a Garand one day-probably a CMP, but I really want a new, me the first and forever owner-springfield too-I'd just prefer it in 30/06
    edited November -1
    Is the bore and chamber on a M1A chrome lined? I have checked the Springfield website, and have found no information.
    edited November -1
    ser number 112***

Numbers on the bolt

SA CA4

Can anybody tell me something about this rifle?

Year made
    usgi bolt or not

Thanks

"I did not get where I am today by worring about what I did last night"
    edited November -1
    Is there a book or web sit that tell me date of production?
  • ladrladr Member Posts: 263 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Change scopes and try the 168 grain palmya load or one equal to it.

New gun? Shoot it in and then see.

And my stock Norinco is just about equaal to my stock M1A.

NO GUTS, NO GLORY
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What type of mounts are you using? Also if your shooting for groups your going to have to handload, no way you can get optimal grouping with a factory cartridge.

I hear alot of complaints about various mounts on M1A's. If it ain't permanent and doesn't have to be professionally installed or fitted, then you aint gonna get small groups with it....

Visit me http://www.geocities.com/gunsmithlee
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say from having owned and shot many that that is pretty good and better than average.
    These are battlerifles,not match rifles.
    If you want to sell your ChiCom receiver,I am always looking for them.
    cpermd
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That group is fairly good for a standard M1A. If you want a match rifle, buy or build one. It sounds like you have had good luck in getting some other rifles that shoot better than the norm for their type.
    edited November -1
    Yup, listen to these guys, they know what they are talking about.

I'm sorry, when I read your post, I just assumed that you had a national match M1A. I didn't relize it was a standard model. I need to quit speed reading like that...

But hey, you can send that puppy back to springfield and have a kreiger barrel put in it and have all the upgrades done and be rockin...

edited November -1
    The springfield is national match.
    And I do carefully hand load each round to be exactly the same.
    Not even 1 / 1000th difference in cartridge length.
    Hand trickled powder to exactly the same.
    Good quality bullets. The only thing I don't do is
    turn the necks for exact thickness. Even I can't see
    doing that much, when my ar 15 will do 1/2 inch with
    the same quality control.

Thanks for the input.

Eric

thats'me
    edited November -1
    Try adjusting the seating depth. Start working it shorter and if your groups start opening up then start working it the other way till they get to either the maximum OAL or rather than shrinking they start opening up again. And you may decide to try a different recepie. (boy my spelling sucks) Or different bullets.

Or if you really decide you don't like the gun, you could just give it to me ....

edited November -1
    You may also look into using moly bullets.

edited November -1
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that there isn't going to be any simple quick fix for improving accuracy. I mean hey, your already getting great groupings. But if you want better ones, your going to have to spend time and money to do so. I think you were wrong in precieving that just buying a new match rifle from a better company was going to improve everything. Though sometimes it may work that way, it didn't this time. Consider it another one of those life's lessons.

• kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bigest problem I've had with my N.M. M1A was the mount & scope, both Springfield ... when I first got it I it would hold a 6" group at 100 ... talk about disapointed! I tried different powders, loads, seating depths ... and several different factory loads, all with nearly the same results. Well to make a long story shorter, I tried the scope on my Stoner with factory ammo that has proven shoot 1/2" groups ... the best it would do was 3", I sent the scope back for not holding zero, got it back it was better, but was still at 3". I called Tech at Springfield and they said my mount was probably loose, that the aluminun mount needs to be tightened and re-tightened while shooting untill it gets "seated" in. I never thought it was "loose" however I took a large flat washer and cut one side down to where it would fit in the slot clear accross the big thumbscrews for more leverage ... shot a few rounds and tighten. Even though I couldn't tighten it screw by hand I could with my "washer-driver" ... finally after about 100 rounds, it got seated and now will shoot sub-inch groups.

I'd also like to take this oppertunity to to say again;
    Springfield Scopes are JUNK!

Mine is going back for the 4th time!

=================================
    Sometimes the most obvious, is the most elusive!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.