In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger 10/22 in 22 mag - anyone have experience?

Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2002 in Ask the Experts
I am taking a hard look at the Ruger 10/22 in 22 mag. Have any of you had experience with that rifle...like how it shoots a far as accuracy is concerned, it's reliability, etc.

I have a Marlin 882SS (bolt action) that has served me well. But I would like to have a good semi-auto in 22 mag also.

Comments

• Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea, its just like the 10/22 but the ammo's more expensive...

Of coarse you get a little more power for blasting a little bigger squirrels, and a little more range.

I'd say go with just a regular 10/22 unless you have a specific application for the magnum. I mean they aren't that expensive, you can always get one later if you want.

Visit me http://www.geocities.com/gunsmithlee
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have to admit I've always been a fan of marlins too, but rather than rimfire, have you though about going with a .22hornet? You can at least handload it.. Do you necesarilly have to have a semi auto? Ruger makes a nive bolt action varmint model .22hornet rifle. You could really smoke some wood chucks with that baby...

Of coarse theres always that new .17hmr thats out... Looked into it any? I might wait on one of those though, it could just end up like the 5mmRemington.

• Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes I have a 10/22 in .22 magnum. There are a few differences in the contruction of the rifle. Mainly some aluminum parts found in the .22 LR are steel in the .22 mag version to handle the higher pressures. Yes it is accurate. I put way too much scope on mine but love to shoot it. Needs a little trigger work to make it a little better at the range.

The question really is what good is a .22 mag? Too much for most small game and too little for most bigger game. I did drop a coyote at about 150 yards dead in his tracks with mine. The .22 mag is a favorite poacher rifle and has no doubt taken plenty of deer and alligators here in Florida with no problems(at least that is what I hear). Yep, its expensive to shoot but worth the fun. I wanted a .22 mag for no particular purpose and felt the 10/22 was a great choice. It has worked with no problems in the 200 or so rounds that have gone through mine. Good luck

Worry is the interest humans pay on the debt of miscalculation.
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many thanks for the replies.

Lee-- I already have a 10/22 lr that I like a lot. It's what I use to thin out the turtles with. And I have a Marlin 22 mag bolt action rifle. So I really don't "need" a 22 mag semi-auto. But I can't help myself when it comes to guns--it's an addiction of some sort.

And as far as having a specific application for a 22 mag, I live way out in the country where we have all sorts of critters...big, small, and in between. I carry a 30-06 with me 100% of the time as my "applications" rifle. Most of the time I'm doing away with skunks and wild dogs, but I could just as easily have a need to eliminate a big wild hog.

I have considered a 22 Hornet instead of the 22 mag. But if I went to a small center-fire 22 cartridge, I think I would go to a .223. Ammo is so available and flexible with the loadings.

Robin-- Thanks for your first-hand experience with a 10/22 mag. Like your mag, my 10/22 lr also could use a trigger job. I do like the steel receiver of the mag--I never have gotten used to alloy guns.

Bottom line: I have to find a dealer in my area to order a new Ruger. Just gotta have one.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be careful with these guns. Ruger stopped production on these for awhile due to some type of problems with them. They have just recently been brought back. Prices are up to $350.00 and up !!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh, I understand your situation now Rafter. In your case I would have to say that you probably should buy one. Being in that situation about stuff like that all the time, or at least every time I get a pay check, I've just come to the conclusion to buy it... I now look at my firearms collection as my savings account...