In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt Defender Question

jethrojethro Member Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
edited March 2008 in Ask the Experts
I sold a Colt Defender that has come back to me with a problem. I need some help in determining how much of an issue this is.

On the right side of the gun on the top section of the rail in the frame, there is a depression that looks like it was caused by something hitting the frame. You can see it and it is very pronounce when you run your fingers down the slide. The inside of the mag well has been filed back flat and finished well, but it is obvious that it has been worked on. I know this is an aluminum frame, but it has had less than 50 rounds fired through it and there is quite a bit of wear already showing up in the frame rails- is this normal for an aluminum frame, or is it likely due to the damage?

Also, the ejector pin hole on the right side is actually two holes. They are so close that they touch. My Springfields all have only one hole, but may this have been done to make up for the damage?

Lot of questions, but all help is appreciated!

Mike

Comments

• jethrojethro Member Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok i just bought this maybe 2yrs ago new in the box. on the frame on the feeding ramp a chip came out so its a nice little nick. i'm not sure how it happened. But my question should this fall under warrenty or workmanship if it can't be fixed? i'm not even sure it can be buffed out since its a nice little nick.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    If these showed up after you sold it, I would say the one that bought has a problem. He messed it up himself. Does the gun shoot OK?
    If you are a dealer, and sold it new, send it back to Colt [;)]
    edited November -1
    I am sending it back, but it is obvious that it was sent this way from the factory.

He has shot it at my place the only time it was shot. This was discovered the first time it was taken apart for cleaning. I am disappointed that it made it out of the factory like this.

But I would like to know if it is normal to see slide wear on an aluminum frame with less than 50 rounds.

Mike
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The Defender I had was tight from the factory. It and the Kimber CDP I have now have some wear you can see, but are still tight.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    My suggestion is to always keep any aluminum frame semi auto WELL LUBED especially Before it is shot the first time if aluminum picks up a BURR it will continue to Gauld and either wear or seize . . Your mileage may vary.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Perry,

I never had any reservations about an aluminum frame, but this amount of severe marking was giving me second thoughts. I think that the damage to the slide has caused the marks I am seeing.

Mike
  • Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    --
    Any time you have metals of significantly different metallurgy rubbing against one another you are going to have issues, especially if one of the metals is significantly harder/tougher than the other. This will also happen when you have these conditions occurring with the same type of metals rubbing together.

perry shooter mentioned gauling as a problem. This happens for a few reasons, but ususally when a significant amount of heat and friction are in play. This is a common problem with stainless steel and aluminium because it takes less heat and friction to cause gauling than with various hardened carbon steels. Aluminum is also especially susceptable to getting a chunk of something like a grain of sand or brass stuck on it and scoring the surface, setting it up for gauling. What happens is that with heat and friction, the surface of the metal begins to peel or melt and looks like it is rolling up. Usually you will not find pieces; the metal just looks oddly abraded. Which.........brings up perry shooter's second point: lubrication.

Unless the buyer took home the gun and decided to dick around with it, it sounds like a reject someone tossed in the "to be shipped" pile. However, Colt's QC should have caught this.

You may have some issues come up when you send it back, as Colt may be reluctant to accept that the damage you describe originated at their house.
    edited November -1
    The marring of the slide is a secondary concern with this gun. The ding in the rail on the right side of the gun and the double drilling of the ejector pin hole- also on the right side- are the main concerns. The ding on the rail is from the back of the mag well forward about 1/4". There is a slight narrowing of the material almost all the way to the front of the mag well. Inside the well, you can see where there had been some very good work of filing the aluminum that was dinged in to allow the magazine to clear. I don't suspect that there will be any issues with returning this particular gun.

Thank you,

Mike