In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rechamber a Ruger Ultra Light?

holybuckholybuck Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
Is it possible to rechamber to Ruger Ultra Light .270 to a smaller caliber? If its possible, who does this kind of work?

Comments

• 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    holybuck...welcome to the forum! Almost anything is possible, but first I have an additional question or two. You say smaller caliber...like 6MM or 22 cal or do you mean a smaller case but still something in .270 bore sze?
  • holybuckholybuck Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    5mm gunguy: A 6mm would be interesting never thought of that. More like a .257 or .243 any other suggestions you have I'd like to hear.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    you could REBARREL to any caliber with the /06 head size. making a large hole (.277") smaller just isn't possible (practical).
    edited November -1
    Mike: Thanks, I guess I'll just have to live with it. Recoil of a standard .270 is kind of harsh.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some folks will reline barrels to a smaller cal., but the last time I checked it was only in rimfire or muzzle loading arms operating at relatively low pressures. Someone was making "low recoil" ammunition for rounds like the .308 and '06 but I don't recall if they did the .270 as well? Hornady maybe? Or, you could always take up reloading!
    edited November -1
    Rob, thanks. Yeah Remington makes a low recoil .270 round with a 115 grain bullet. Might be the answer. Its ballistics are similar to a .257 Roberts.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If that doesn't work out, you could always look around for someone who wanted to move up to a .270 and had a .243 or .257 Roberts to trade. I had an Ultra Light in .243 that was one of the most accurate hunting rifles I've owned. Don't ask why I sold it, except that I also had an old Sako, same cal. and didn't feel like I needed two. If you do decide to trade or sell and buy another, you might also want to take a look at Ruger's new Hawkeye. I have one in .257. Still working up the right load for it, but it's one of the nicest bolt actions Ruger has made in a long time.
    edited November -1
    Rob, thanks. I do have it for sale on gunbroker at $499. A price I think is reasonable considering the others are about $100 more. Its a pretty rifle. Just wish I had bought a smaller caliber to begin with. I have a Remington 700 in .270 that I like but bought the Ruger for its light weight. I like your idea of a .243. If it does'nt sell, maybe I'll work a trade for one.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    holybuck...do you reload? You could also load the 270 lighter, if you reload. Another thought would be the 260 Remington...but that would be more work for a machinest.