In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Minimum barrel length to get most out of .357 Mag

WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
So my girl friend decided she wants a S&W Model 60-15 Pro it has a 3 inch barrel. I think that is long enough to get most of the power out of a .357 round right? Also $600 seems to be the going price on this gun anyone seen it cheaper anywhere.

Link below just example of gun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=103426544

Comments

• timkaratetimkarate Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barrel length does affect power but more important is the powder/bullet weight. For that short of a barrel she will want to shoot a heaver bullet. The heaver the bullet the faster burning powder it is packet with so the bullet will have more energy on its way out. The only think you need to think about is that it has a wooden grip which will most likely be smaller. So the kick will be harder to control and will most likely torch in her hand. She may want to get a gun with a rubber grip.
  • longbow589longbow589 Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your girl friend is a real sport if she wants to shoot with you .My wife shoots with me some and she loves my Ruger 44 mag, but I would never give her full horse loads. She only shoots 44 spcl. Loads. Now I'm not saying that your girl is a wimp or a she-male or what, but if you want her to keep shooting with you keep it fun and give her 38 spcl load to shoot. They cost less, less recoil = more fun and unless you or she wants to hunt with the gun barrel length dose not mater get her what she likes.
  • AzlonegunmanAzlonegunman Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally would opt for a 4 inch barrel in a 357 if I were intending to use magnum loads in it. I have two four inch barrelled 357s and a two inch Taurus model 605, I've fired 357 magnum rounds in the 605 - ONCE. I carry it loaded with 38 special +p+ hollow points. It's heavy and strong enough to handle the hot 38s and they aren't so hot as to make my wrist sore from fighting the recoil. In a htree inch, I'd probably just opt for some hot 38 specials versus a full 357 magnum. If you're willing to load your own, you could probably cook up some 357 magnum loads that will be accurate and comfortable to shoot, but otherwise, I'd load a 3 inch 357 with 38s. A three inch barrel has a short sight radius so generally long range shooting is going to be difficult at best. Likewise with the shorter barrel, 357 magnum, depending on the loading, will shoot flames out the barrel.

Just my two cents worth, your mileage may vary

Brian
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    In the house (home protection) only? Get an old 38/44 S&W HD revolver..load with +P+ 38's. Best compromise of power/weight to keep felt recoil/muzzle blast to a minimum. Best, Joe
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is for her to carry and home defense. She normally carries around my S&W 642-1 but wants something with a hammer now. She wanted a .357 and then she saw this Model 60 and really liked it. She shoots my S&W 500 giggles then reloads it and shoots again. Yeah I think the wood grips would go and get replaced with Packmyer Decelerators easier on the hand and easier to hold on to when wet which helps in most situations.
  • Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    To get the most you would need the longest barrel you can get. I think that 4 inches give you the best balance of recoil, weight, and concealability.
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wagion

So my girl friend decided she wants a S&W Model 60-15 Pro it has a 3 inch barrel. I think that is long enough to get most of the power out of a .357 round right? Also $600 seems to be the going price on this gun anyone seen it cheaper anywhere.

Link below just example of gun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=103426544
    To get the most out of a .357 mag, the barrel needs to be between 12" and 16". However, that is not practicable for carry or self defense. The 3" in the gun she is looking at is fine, but be prepared for lots of muzzle flash.
  • glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Muzzle blast can be quite unpleasant in a short barreled .357.