In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.22 lr ballistic question

gp10048453gp10048453 Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
Any ballistics people out there? I have a ruger 10/22 that I want to use for squirrel hunting and plinking. I've been told that I should zero the scope at 50 yards. The problem is,I only have access to a 30 yard range. Should I site in a little high at 30 yards or would I be just as well zeroing at 30 yards. I want to shoot 40 grain mini mags out of it.

Comments

• 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on rifle and scope- but for most, at 30, bullet is still rising to line of sight- scope sits higher than line of sight. I THINK if you are an inch low at 30, you will be about on at 50. Anyone else got a thought?
  • tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a 40 grain bullet with 50 yard zero the near zero is 25 yds.Zero it at 25 and it will be on zero again at 50.Actually you'd be better off with a 70 yard zero. In this case the near zero is 17 yards.Zero it at 17 and it will be on zero again at 70
  • 336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe this will help out a little bit;
    http://www.larrywillis.com/22 Rimfire.html

.22's are fun!!!
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 Tocamoha,
    My 10/22 is currently without scope, but I did take one of my Kimber's out this morning and the results seem consistent with his (?) calculations.
    My scope is about 1.6" above line of bore.
    Group at 50 yards was .85" above point of aim, and back at 30 yards, .78" high. The Kimber was shooting 1/3 and 1/4" 4 shot groups (solid bench and sand bags) so I'm pretty confident in the numbers, though from any reasonable field position I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Ammunition, by the way, in deference to your question, was CCI Mini-Mag hollow point.
  • tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The figures I listed are for a 1255 fps muzzle velocity
  • OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for tocomoha. With that 70 yd zero you'll be about 3" low at 100 yards, or just a little more.
    OleDuk[:)][:)]
  • gp10048453gp10048453 Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    awesome! Thanks all for the help.
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    The impact point of 22lr subsonic is the same at 50 feet as it is at 50 yards. Back in the days that I shot Small Bore Posistion we would not need to adjust our sights between 50 feet and 50 yards, but for 100 yards it was 26 clicks up on the old Redfield Olympics.
  • owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    I love to hunt squirrels with my Ruger 10-22's. I practice on golf balls at different ranges. The golf ball is about the size of a squirrels head and I only take head shots. I sight in at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards using very good scopes. Stingers and Winchester power points are my choice. The best thing you can do for your accuracy is to get a good trigger in your gun, like a Timney trigger. I use different barrels such as bull target barrels, carbon barrels, regular factory barrels. I can shoot squirrels in the head at 80 to 100 yards regularily but I practice a lot. I use a Browning Buck Mark target pistol with a Swedish very fine red dot sight for any squirrels 40 yards or less, again head shots only. The Stingers makes their eyes pop out everytime. This is real fun hunting in my book. Scout for deer while squirrel hunting.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I have never had that much accuracy success with the Stinger... 2-3 inches at 100 yards..not good enough for a squirrel's head...started trying other stuff finally settled on CCI Velocitor...40 HP at 1400 from my 10-22 and 5 shots inside a 1 inch at 100 yards off a rest. And the squirrels never know what hit them! Second best is Lapua 36 HP subsonic...same accuracy but a lot more drop at 100 yards...I use it when I want to be as quiet as possible where there are a lot of squirrels about.