In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

do ammo purchase/deliveries require signature

GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking at ordering ammo online and in the past I've never had to have an adult sign for it. Last time I ordered they just dropped it off at my house when I was at work. Do all places do that or are they just doing a CYA?

"Father, yes son, I want to kill you" - Jim Morrison

Comments

• IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the state laws and the amount of BS the originating / destination terminal impose. I've received and sent thousands of packages of ammo via FedEx Ground and UPS. When I ship from the area UPS terminal, the first thing they do is slap an "Adult Signature Required" sticker on the box. If I ship from another UPS terminal, they pay no attention. FedEx never does it on this end, but sometimes gets prissy on delivery. My own opinion is that terminal managers / drivers are given WAY too much latitude and take it upon themselves to invent policies / restrictions. So the bottom line is - if it isn't something imposed by the state, probably not, but where you are in HillaryLand, who knows what some pinhead may decide is appropriate?

BigShrug.gif
  • PrebanpartsPrebanparts Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fed Ex in St Louis flat out does not accept ammunition shipments and the way the folks at UPS act when shipping it they will not be accepting ammo much longer..any know if that is the case?
  • 625625 Member Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have received thousands of rounds of .22 LR ammo in the last several months shipped to my home via UPS. My wife an I both work, and are never home when they deliver. I have had to "prove...over 21" when ordering, but I've NEVER had to sign for delivery in central Indiana.

"For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Some of my pics
    http://personal.swayzee.com/jayb/index.html
  • rewirerog2rewirerog2 Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had to sign for ammo once during the last 12 months, otherwise UPS just leaves it on the front porch. This is Maryland, but I always see "Attention: restrictions may apply" for deliveries to DC and NY, among others.[:0]
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While there are both federal & state/local regulations concerning the transfer of ammunition to juveniles, GCA68 does not give specific instructions for common carriers to follow in order to prevent this from happening. The first time some emotionally disturbed teenager steals ammo off of someone's porch & uses it to shoot up a school, UPS will be sued for millions (and lose), and they will institute more stringent controls. It would make sense for UPS to restrict the delivery of ammo, but they are more concerned about employee theft & placing unnecessary restrictions on the lawful shipment of firearms.

Neal
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i request that all the companies i deal with to add the phrase "PLEASE LEAVE AT DOOR" in the adress on the box under my name, and over the actual adress. i, too, work long hours and cannot take a day off to pick up a package at the post office. i have talked one-on-one with my delivery driver, and let him know that i prefer this. i lie on the 3rd floor in condo`s, and know my neibhors. i had a problem one time with a substitute driver. he refused to leave the package, stating that it was against UPS policy. UPS stated after a lot of heated discusion, that as long as it was labled "ORMD" and was under a certain wieght, that it was not a HAZ-MAT item, did not require a signiture, and was a legitimate consumer commodity. most of these companies do not label there boxes "AMMUNITION" and the delivery guys cannot tell whats inside them. just my 2 cents worth. best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.