In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stevens 511/Savage 311 double barrel

laboylaboy Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
Problem. When front trigger is pulled safety button slides to rear to safety position and the second barrel will not fire-safety is on. Rear of front trigger rides up safety lever, moves bottom of lever to rear and pushes safety on. If hold thumb on safety button when firing, safety will not move to rear and second barrel will fire. Seems that the safety spring is weak, but if safety is moved from safe to fire and back manually pressure is required, does seem weak?. If safety spring is problem, how do you remove and replace? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remove buttplate then remove stock using long screwdriver.
    You will then be able to see what's going on in the action.
  • laboylaboy Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did. Second sentence describes what is going on in action.
    edited November -1
    There is a small flat spring in the upper tang on the left side. It presses on a plunger that gives a detent action, making for a click in both on and off positions. This may be your problem.
    The link between selector switch and triggers, pivots on a pin between upper and lower tangs. Moving the top of the link forward causes the bottom of the link to move rearward, disengaging the triggers & switching the safety off. The pivot pin may be missing on yours.
    If it is in a position between off and on and a trigger cams it back, the safety will be forced into the on position, not the off position.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your continuing help. The safety lever pin is in place. When I move the safety button, which reqires a little pressure, there is an audiable click and the safety button moves fully to fire nad safe positions. === When the front trigger is pulled (fired) the upper rear of the trigger cams the front of the safety lever (link)at the notch in the lever about 1/4" below the safety lever pin and pivots the front of the safety lever foward which moves the bottom of the safety lever foward placing the gun on safety unable to fire the back trigger. The safety is fully on and not between safe and fire. I hope I am clearly describing the movement of the safety lever when the front trigger pulled. I conclude that the safety spring is weak or the notch in the safety lever is worn at an angle allowing the rear of the trigger to pivot the lever to safe position on contact. I would hate to change the spring and that not be the problem. Your additional comment will be appreciated.
    edited November -1
    The safety lever has a notch or step. When the safety is on, the bottom or lowest part of the step blocks all movement of the triggers.
    When the safety switch is moved fully forward, the triggers are free to move up into the notch or step.
    At some point between the bottom of the link and top of the cutout (step), the trigger bars are supposed to release the hammers and be stopped by the step. If they don't and the triggers go above the step onto the angled cut or above it, the triggers need to be lengthened at their rear by welding so their total travel is from the bottom of the safety link (safety position) to the top of the step (firing position) within the cutout.
    The cutout and angled cut in the safety lever should be facing forward.
    If the hammers don't release within that 1/8" trigger travel, the trigger bars have to be bent to release their hammers within that distance which is about 1/8".
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I appreciate your help. I will try your suggestion.
    edited November -1
    I really don't understand part of your description.
    If the trigger pushes the front of the safety bar at any point below the pivot pin, the top of the bar will push forward in the direction of safety off.
    If triggers and safety bar are buggered up, Numrich /Gun Parts has replacements.
    edited November -1
    Triggers and safety levers do not appear to be damaged or altered in any way. However I believe I have found why my description is not clear. If you pull up action #129805570 on GB, I recently noted the auction, the safety lever is not shaped like the one in the 511. The bottom front lever in the auction is shaped in a 90 degree angle for about 1/4" from the bottom front of the safety lever to the notch in the lever, and then from the center of the notch angles 90 degrees foward for about 1/8-1/4" to a point, and then angles 45 degrees up and foward for a little greater than 1/4" to a point and then angles upward and to the right to the top of the lever. It seem that the distance from the top rear of the trigger to the notch is about 1/8". The lever in the 511 is not shaped like that. First, the botton of the auction lever is about 1/4" in length. The bottom 511 lever is only about 1/8 in length (about half the length of the auction lever), The 511 lever immediately angles up and foward at appox. a 40 degree angle for a little more than 3/8" to a notch. It then turns left appox. 130 degrees to form a notch about 1/8" in length. It then angles 90 degrees up for about 3/8" and then angles to the top of the lever. The distance for the top rear of the trigger to the notch is about 5/16+". When the trigger is pulled, the top rear or the trigger rises that 5/16", hits the front of the notch pivots the lever, and moves botton the lever foward to the safety position. If the differences in shape of the two safety levers is unclear, I will try to send pictures of each. In reviewing the Gun Parts Corp schematics for the 311 and 511 I am unable the acertain the exact shapes in the schematics, but the both seem to be shaped like the lever shown in the auction. It seems the triggers and trigger springs are the same. Could the trigger springs be weak allowing the rear top of the triggers to rise the 5/16+" to pivot the safety lever? Again thanks for you continued help.
    edited November -1
    V35. Send e-mail address to me and I will send pictures of the 511. cvberthelot@yahoo.com
    edited November -1
    From your photos, if the triggers hit the step on your gun, the safety bar step doesn't act as a trigger stop as it should. Because the pivot pin is to the rear of the step, there is a moment arm causing the safety lever to cam the safety to the ON position.
    This gun could never have functioned properly unless the trigger never reached the step but fired very early.
    The fix is to remove the safety bar step, allowing more trigger travel.
    The triggers would then stop when their rears butt against the vertical part of the safety bar which involves a slight bit more travel. Butting into the vertical part will tend to want to push the trigger CCW or further into the OFF position.
    I don't forsee any problem but should there be one, a new safety bar is about $7 from Gunparts.
    Let us know how you make out.