In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Butler 22 derringer

jodividusjodividus Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
does anyone know of a 22 short derringer made by butler, USA. I am looking at a set of four, butcan find no reference as to when they were made, how many, value,etc. any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Butler was a subcontractor to Colt, circa late 50's early 70's approximately. The derringers were made of potmetal with steel liner in barrel and internal parts. They were sold by Colt as the Lord and Lady in a fancy box. The one with the just the Butler name not likely to bring in as much money as those sold under the Colt name.

Check the on-line auctions, the Colt Lord and Lady are common and show up often on them. My WAG is the ones with just the Butler name would be valued between 50% & 75% of the Colt.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If by "looking at" you really mean "considering buying", I suggest you walk away unless they are dirt cheap (i.e., < $25). As R-S says, they are poorly made; value is low if mint, lower if fired or even handled (the plating is about 1 micron thick & can easily be rubbed off just by touching).

Butler made some of these in black powder. They also made some in "non gun" configuration, minus the recoil plate. Be sure that the guns you are looking at are functional .22 shorts.

Neal

The COLT version:

colt_lord_2.jpg