In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

LEO Duty choices?

SUNRIVERSUNRIVER Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
edited August 2005 in Ask the Experts
I am trying to decide what Duty pistol I should get, I have to get it approved by the Firearms instructor but I have little insight into what makes a great duty pistol for LEO. ANy suggestions into what to look for or what not to get?

Pain is weaness leaving the body

Comments

• danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Something that is 100% reliable and you can hit the target everytime with. If you are a good shooter many different pistols fit the bill. It comes down to what fits you and personal preference. I love my 1911a1 with a sigp220r in a close second place.

0311 semper fi
  • dcinffxvadcinffxva Member Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sunriver,

Most departments have a policy that defines what is, or is not acceptable. For example, my agency issues duty weapons, but has guidelines for personal carry, such as must be .38, 9mm or .40 cal., must be double action etc. You might want to check that out before getting something like a 1911, or Hi-power and find it doesn't meet your guidelines.

I carry a Glock 23 on duty, and a Glock 27, or S&W model 60 off duty. It just depends on where I'm going, and what I'm wearing that helps me decide. What kind of agency are you going to ? That may also impact your decision such as being out in bad weather constantly, or a possibility of longer range being needed (Game and Fish).
  • abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ask your dept. firearms person , take what he says with some authority and yet with a grain of salt (we are all a little biased)...
    I personally carry a glock 23 40 cal. for duty & a keltec 40 cal. off duty ...Good Luck and welcome to the brotherhood...The Thin Blue Line!
    Good Luck !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn

My dog is the best person I know...
    If only more people could be as loyal and honest as my dog!!!

I love guns & Shooting!
  • Dyer_MakerDyer_Maker Member Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My department issue Glock 23's. Good enough for duty and small enough to carry off duty.
  • CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a copy of your OPS book and then it will narrow your choices and then ask again.

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA PATRON-LIFE Member, AF&AM, Shriner Life Member, A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois "Chicago Chapter" Founding Member & Board Member
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our local PD issues Sig 229's in 40S&W, also starting new officers with Glock 23's. I don't work for the PD, but was in training and was offered a much better job somewhere else.

I sense a pattern here though.....
    GLOCK 23

Better to carry a pistol and not need it than need a pistol and not have it.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.